• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Age to own pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbif

36 Cal.
Reaction score
New year of 4-h and a new project. I built a kit for my muzzloading 4-h project last year, and won at state :grin: . (thanks to members here for helping me with the build) Now I'm looking to build a pistol but the question is can I buy/technically own it? I'm 18 so I can carry and buy supplies for my rifle, but can I buy a muzzloading pistol at 18 or is it 21 like any other pistol? :confused: thanks

Since bp pistols are non guns there is no age limitation to own one. I bought my first one when I was 12.

Contact your state's AG office on that question . Every state is a different entity. Although the federal government considers muzzleloading firearms along with cap and ball revolvers as a non gun, many states do not. As an example, here in Massachusetts you don't need any sort of permit for a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun, but you need a license to carry for a handgun or cap and ball revolver. In the eyes of Massachusetts a Ruger OA is no different than a Ruger Blackhawk. If you are carrying it, you better have the proper license to carry. Don't find yourself in need of a lawyer.

I bought a philly deringer in a pawn shop... when I was 15 years old...

but that was a couple generations ago.

Calling your Attorney General's office is good advice.

Here in Arizona we have very easy going firearms laws. A person can even walk around with a pistol in an exposed holster however, the State considers all muzzleloaders to be "firearms" so, even a single shot black powder pistol falls under that description.

The bottom line is anyone carrying a pistol has to meet the States laws for owning any kind of pistol (except for a air powered gun).

Now, on the bright side of things, you could build a nice pistol even if it belongs to one of your parents.
I know this isn't quite as neat as having it belong to you but it would give you the opportunity to build it. Assuming the 4H rules allow it you could probably show it in the competition. After all, it would be your work. :)

My 18 year old competitive shooting Son just went to the local Police Dept. in our town and requested an application for the NJ Firearms Purchaser I.D. Card. He did this on a break from college a few weeks ago. Due to NJ law, since he is not yet 21, he can't even apply for a permit to purchase a handgun. Here in NJ, you need a permit for a BB gun :shake: :youcrazy: .

The best advice that I can give you is to contact your local PD and inquire. If any type of permit is needed, they'll know and have a process set-up already to accept applications. If a permit is required, don't be surprised if you're asked to sign a form giving them permission to check you out for fingerprints, NCIC, FBI, as well as a mental health check where they look to see if you've been hospitalized as a wacko :youcrazy: .

Here in NJ it can take several months to get "cleared" through the process :shake: , so the earlier that you do it the better-off you'll be.

Hope that this helps!

Dave

Bought a BP pistol at 19 in Nebraska w/o needing a handgun permit. I stayed away from the BP center fire stuff though; didn't want to risk a confused cop at a bad time. The clerk at the shop was very helpful too. From what I have seen most places require you to show proof of permit if permits are required. But... your mileage may vary so make sure you do a little research. You can most likely look up the state gun laws online too.

To my knowledge, Ohio treats BP arms just as the Federal government does. Still, it's worth checking.

I wouldn't bother with calling your local PD. Call the Ohio AG's office, or you might be able to call the Bureau of Criminal Investigation (they perform the background checks). For local or county restrictions, check with the county/city prosecutor's office. You're also close to Log Cabin shop, so you could check with them.

Remember even if they don't consider your gun a firearm or label it as a non-gun that it's still considered a weapon and if you have it on your person it can be considered a concealed weapon.

Back