• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Affordable Production Smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbeauvin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if there was an affordable production flint smoothbore (or for that matter percussion double) in the market? Something that would sort of be the smoothbore equivalent of a flint GPR? Something in the $500 range. I haven't saved the pennies yet, but I'm interested in acquiring a smoothbore, either a flint single or a percussion double (flint because, well, rock-banging just sounds awfully cool -- or a double percussion because I could play with it at cowboy matches). Are there reasonable production models in that price range, or am I better off just watching for a deal on a used flintlock fowler (or an original belgian double) in good shape?

thanks,
GB

There are certainly used Percussion doubles in that price range that are well made. The Pedersolis are well made reliable guns in my experience, And the Piettas are as well (though I've never had one myself). Navy Arms and Dixie gun Works get or got their doubles from those companies (at different times). Not sure where the CVA's came from.

I was at an antique firearms trade fair this weekend. There were many original doubles for sale in that price range. Some were percussion and some were suppository.

Many Klatch

You can pretty much forget about an affordable flint double of any quality in that price range.

Sometimes you may find a late original percussion double in shooting condition, less than a replica, but be aware of the danger of shooting originals.

You may be able to find a used Pedersoli or Japanese Bess in that range. New is running around $1000.

You also may be able to find a used custom from a new maker selling to buy his next parts set. Expect some flaws but those guns come up from time to time if you look.

For "factory" production, once in a while you may come upon a North Star West, Caywood or Centermark from time to time in ML classifieds, you just have to keep your eyes peeled and have patience.

GB:
I have some doubles,used peds and an original, I think both are 10ga percs.I have the A/O gunshow this weekend, PM me next week.
Nit Wit

Just keep your eye peeled and your hand on your wallet. It doesn't happen every day, but good deals come along. I picked up my Pedersoli Bess for $400. Another approach to keep you in financial bounds would be to track down one of the Green Mountain smoothbore 62 cal drop-in barrels for TC. I paid under $200 for mine used, but in perfect shape.

i have a pedersoli 20 ga duoble perc. for sale very good condition 450.00shipped can email pics if your interested

looking at the price for a current pedersoli double and what I paid.....they jumped considerbly in 6 years! I'd jump on a 20 if I had 450 to burn just to grab it. Navy arms doubles were supposed to be ok for the money also.

You may also try and find a TC Newenglander. You can run a 50/54 barrel and easily swap to a 12 ga barrel if you can find one. They are around. Or you may just find the 12 itself...50's are easy to come acrossed. They are percussions not flinters though, no frills hunting rifle.

BB, you have to many, you've been banned from purchasing anymore stuffers until you share the wealth, drive to fairbanks and offload a few in my gun cabinet ;).

Second vote for the TC New Englander, easily converted to Flintlock.

S7300415.jpg

AkDan said:
BB, you have to many, you've been banned from purchasing anymore stuffers until you share the wealth, drive to fairbanks and offload a few in my gun cabinet ;).

Ah, but I get to spend some time in quail country next year, and that 20 would work soooooo well! That's the story for my wife anyway! :rotf:

satwel said:
How in the world did you find a Pedersoli Bess for $400? I haven't seen a used one for under $800. I'm envious!

I was at a guy's house buying a Big Boar and he pulled it out, asking if I was interested. When I asked how much he proposed $400 and I dug deeper in my wallet. Walked away with a flint Frontier 50 for $250, too. The guy hadn't used them in about 10 years and was raising money for a new TV. Yeah. :youcrazy:

GB I don't know where you are from but Ace Sporting Goods in Washington, PA has a 12 gage navy arms double barrel percussion shot gun on the wall for $388.??. It has been there a while and I wouldn't be suprised if you called and were willing to pay shipping it could be yours. They have a web site too.

T/C renegade .56 smoothbore...sometimes hard to find but cheap to buy, I got mine for $150 and swaped in a TOW flint breech and a new style factory flint lock for short money. Not PC but still fun!

longfowler said:
T/C renegade .56 smoothbore...sometimes hard to find but cheap to buy, I got mine for $150 and swaped in a TOW flint breech and a new style factory flint lock for short money. Not PC but still fun!

what do you mean by
''Not PC but still fun''

tanks
target man

Hey Rok,

I'm all ears on turning it into a flinter.

Right now I'm debating on browning mine (54) She had some pitting and some rust. Been trying to get the bulk of it off with some 1500 grit dry/wet and some corrosian X. It works but took the blue off in those spots. Currently drying the casey cold blue. Its ok. The bulk of its under the ram rod holder. Someone tried getting some off near the muzzle so the bluing is thin there also. Hence the thought to strip it all and brown it if the touch up with the cold blue doesnt turn out.

0000 steel wool and cutting or machine oil will do the trick. Use the oil generously, don't press hard, and don't let the rust build up in the wool to a pasted. it will take off most all rust, and leave whatever bluing is still present.

Back