• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on Swiss powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacarper

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm working up a new load for upland bird season this year and looking for some recommendations on powder. I'm shooting a Pedersoli 12g SxS and always had good luck with Goex in the past. Due to availability of Goex however, I tried switching over to Schuetzen and found that I couldn't get more than one or two shots before it became very difficult to load and seat the shot cards (not very advantageous when quail are flushing.) I'm thinking about trying out Swiss, but was hoping for some advice or recommendations before I pull the trigger on the purchase and shipping/hazmat fees. FYI, I've also tried pyrodex but wasn't impressed with the ignition time and found there was too much delay between the trigger pull and ignition when shooting moving targets.

Thanks in advance!

I'm working up a new load for upland bird season this year and looking for some recommendations on powder. I'm shooting a Pedersoli 12g SxS and always had good luck with Goex in the past. Due to availability of Goex however, I tried switching over to Schuetzen and found that I couldn't get more than one or two shots before it became very difficult to load and seat the shot cards (not very advantageous when quail are flushing.) I'm thinking about trying out Swiss, but was hoping for some advice or recommendations before I pull the trigger on the purchase and shipping/hazmat fees. FYI, I've also tried pyrodex but wasn't impressed with the ignition time and found there was too much delay between the trigger pull and ignition when shooting moving targets.

Thanks in advance!
Swiss is great powder and its all I have been buying recently for use in my rifles. However, it does burn hotter and generate higher velocity and I have found I get better patterns in my fowler with reduced loads of Goex. The Swiss may work just fine but you may have to back off on the powder charge.

I use 3F Shuetzen in everything. I use liberal amounts of saliva. 10-15 shots without swabbing.
Nit Wit
Very interesting! I had always "heard" 3F gives a bad pattern but never tried it out myself. Nice to hear that could just be a myth. What size gauge and shot are you using? I'm going to be switching from 8's to 6's FWIW.

Swiss is great powder and its all I have been buying recently for use in my rifles. However, it does burn hotter and generate higher velocity and I have found I get better patterns in my fowler with reduced loads of Goex. The Swiss may work just fine but you may have to back off on the powder charge.
Great tip on Swiss burning a little hotter. Are you having any luck finding Goex lately? The closest store to me is about an hour and a half a way and it's a gamble on whether or not they have it. I haven't been able to find anything online lately either.

Great tip on Swiss burning a little hotter. Are you having any luck finding Goex lately? The closest store to me is about an hour and a half a way and it's a gamble on whether or not they have it. I haven't been able to find anything online lately either.
Powder Valley shows Goex as available.

Pyrodex didn't like mine number 11 after 3 shots.. I usually had birds and the other barrel so I didn't notice it..

Musket caps are just so much easyer to handle. I think more pop too.

I like Schuetzen over pyrodex..

it did get cruddy at the bottom.. I just switched to overshot cards easyer and wool.. yesthe nitro you just shove down it cuts threw the crud. You get used to it, you just grab from the pouch and stuff. You'll see if you need a load with the dog going how you just go shove it down. Just remember your loading if the bird goes it goes the dog goes he goes your loading pay attention to that you'll need it loaded once you catch up to the dog so finish what your doing..

I hunt one barrel one hammer at a time.. I like it that way...

I would be interested in hearing why you prefer Swiss over the others if you don't mind sharing.
Sure thing. It’s more powerful than Goex or Shuetzen and it’s shoots cleaner. An average rifle load, grain for grain, the Swiss will 200+fps faster, same with a smooth bore.

Sure thing. It’s more powerful than Goex or Shuetzen and it’s shoots cleaner. An average rifle load, grain for grain, the Swiss will 200+fps faster, same with a smooth bore.
Thanks for sharing! I might make the switch regardless of Goex availability and try working up some loads to see what it does for me.

Thanks for sharing! I might make the switch regardless of Goex availability and try working up some loads to see what it does for me.
Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting Goex or Shuetzen, I used nothing but Goex for 40 years. Always thought the accolades for Swiss was hype until I finally tried it about 3 years ago. And Swiss is more expensive, but it’s what I prefer now.

I use swiss 2f in my shotguns. Tried goex and shuetzen, olde enysford. Swiss, It's hands Down the best. Shot after shot and it gives me the best patterns. They speak for themselves.

Attachments

• 20240317_173812.jpg
    20240317_173812.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240420_000950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_000950_Gallery.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
That's is a good pattern.

Mines no good.. well it's ok but that at 20 25 yard? no id see that in the bird.

one side shooting better like that and the other is for closer combo..

Last edited:
it's hits its choke range opens and gone... the blackpowder travels a little better.

I just missed more too when I was modern I know that. Seemed the birds were either too close or too far..

Last edited:
Back