• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Above Grade" wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIke,
So in your case the limiting factor is the availability of your labor. Let's face it, in hand-made pieces there is no way to leverage your time needed to do the work with things like machines and electrons. But to some extent I'm sure you do by using electric drills and band saws instead of hand powered tools.

Production and manufacturing engineers are always looking for ways to minimize the number of times a piece has to be handled, and time between steps. Things like production shop layout and increased batch size lessen the time needed for each.

Then there is the part about price point and sales. If you can produce and sell the same number of $5.00 items with a $3.00 profit as you can $3.00 items with a $2.00 profit you naturally are going to gravitate to produce more of the $5.00 item. If however you can produce and sell twice as many $3.00 items as you can the $5.00 items you will move your production efforts to produce more of those.

I have 2 or 3 rifles with above average to very eye-catching and have hunted with them in the Georgia jungles and Virginia forest. I'm very attentive with them and they show gladly that they have been pampered. But nicks and dings seem to be airborne and you can't get away from them. Yet it is very difficult to notice them unless you look long and closely for them. Even my plain ones are beauties in my eyes and get the same pampering and gentle care. But when I was still a hunter they followed me into "ding n scratch" purgatory regardless. And I did cringe mightily over every tap and slide in the bush or in the house. I do agree they are MEANT to be fired and used. If I were afraid to take one into the bush because it is too pretty I wouldn't have it in the first place and would sell it in the second place. I find as much or more beauty in how it performs as what my eyes tell me.

I purchased an above grade stock and just got finished gun back. Pics don't do it justice but figure is incredible.
20230915_183137.jpg

It is "My Opinion" that if a man is going to go through the labor to build a rifle, or whatever, he should use the nicest lumber he can get his hands on. Then, use that rifle all he can to give it character. Thats the real value.

HH

I purposely buy plain wood for many guns I make. Curl does not an attractive gun make.
We’re all different Mike. I don’t care for patch boxes or a lot of carving. But I’ve never seen a piece of maple with to much curl.

By the way, thanks for the link to your tutorial on ALR. I read it all and it was helpful. How bout a YouTube channel with you building a gun??😁

We’re all different Mike. I don’t care for patch boxes or a lot of carving. But I’ve never seen a piece of maple with to much curl.

By the way, thanks for the link to your tutorial on ALR. I read it all and it was helpful. How bout a YouTube channel with you building a gun??😁
I don't hardly build guns anymore, so a YouTube isn't going to happen.

I can get behind plain wood. When making custom guns I used a lot of plainer hard maple.

On thing for sure is that our customers love figured wood and we’re happy to provide it😉

Many Hawken rifles were stocked in plain maple. Plain maple (or any plain wood) can be beautiful if architecture is correct.

Latest posts

Back