• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About as primitive as you can get.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Another whim I had. Wondering about what kind of knife a frontiersman could make without any power tools at all. I forged this full tang blade from 1/8 inch thick 1085. Shaped with a file. No glues, no wood. Just buffalo rawhide and buffalo sinew.

prim001.jpg

prim002a.jpg

prim003a.jpg

Sorta interesting how the rawhide is somewhat transparent and you can see the wraps under the final sinew sewn cover.

Eh! It was just a whim anyway. Maybe I should get out more often.

Joe

Joe,
Your right it looks terrible...Send it to me
and I will dispose of it properly :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Nice work! Again
snake-eyes :bow: :hatsoff:

Did you varnish that rawhide, or how will you keep sweat from getting absorbed?

Thanks for all of your comments and questions.

Mitch:

The forging process took about an hour, filing the shape and draw filing the edge bevel to about two hours. I dont count heat treating as time as most of it is just waiting on time. I put on five layers of buffalo rawhide, each layer taking about 1/2 to hour per layer. I gave each layer one day to dry before putting on the next layer. So to answer your question I would say about 6 - 8 hours.

Halftail:

Yes it sharpens very well. The blade is very deep and thin. If you look closely at the picture of the blade you might see a very thin line where it has been sharpened. It is scarey sharp.

Leathermoose:

I dont plan on shelacing, varnishing or treating the handle. I have to let buffalo rawhide soak over night and sometimes for more than 24 hours to get it pliable enough to work. Many older knife companies such as Ka-Bar, Western, Case and Robeson offered leather handles on their knives. Many of the knives issued to our service men in WWll, Korea, Vietnam ect. had leather handles. Even now, I think the issue jet pilot's knife has an untreated leather handle. Buffalo rawhide is infinitely tougher than the leather on handles and should be very durable. Each time a person uses this knife the handle will take on more character and personality. Yes, sweat might affect it, but it dries out super fast. If you fell out of a canoe and went under for a day or so a soggy knife handle will the least of your problem. And if the rawhide becomes totally unserviceable it can be replaced much easier than say micarta or antler.

All of your comments are appreciated. :hatsoff:

Joe

I think it is a great looking knife Joe. You have acomplished what a lot of us are trying to do,that PC look anvil

Nicely Done! I mean UGH! whatever posess you to do that? Let help you dispose of that. :thumbsup: :grin:

CP

Back