• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A text book turkey hunt this morning!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maestro

Reaction score
How ”˜bout this scenario? I went up to my favorite deer & turkey spot in Shimerville this morning decked out in 18th c. clothes and armed with my 20 gauge flintlock fowler; walked to the corner of the field; blew a (wood ”“ no plastic!) barred owl hoot and heard a thunderous gobbling reply from a roosted tom about 100 yards into the woods! Well, I walk in only about 30 yards (don’t want to get too close!) and set up along the open path ”“ comfortably leaning against a tree. About 15 minutes later, at first light, I make a few soft tree yelps on the primitive slate call”¦ “ gobble-obble-obble-obble”! About five minutes later, a fly-down cackle seemed to be in order”¦ “gobble-obble-obble-obble”¦”! I kept my cool and remained silent with my trusty smokepole resting on my knee - pointing down the path from whence came the lovely sounds. Five minutes later (which seemed like an eternity), there he came, in all his glistening glory”¦ pausing only occasionally to puff himself into a huge strut”¦ beard dragging on the ground between his legs and head glowing in all the colors of the Union Jack! I noticed the front sight of my smoothbore jiggling as I slowly brought it in line with the magnificent bird. He stopped and raised his head high, as if to taunt me and finally, after what seemed like a second eternity, came closer”¦ until about 25 yards or so”¦ and as he stretched his neck out in a gobble that ran shivers up my spine, I pulled the trigger. The fire from the muzzle pierced the dim early morning and the blast seemed to be a wake-up call to all the surrounding woods. As the thick, white, sulphur-laden cloud cleared, there he was ”“ down! Exhilarating! I took a deep breath, stretched and slowly rose from my recline”¦ looked at the alarm clock through bleary eyes ”“ 7:30! As I slipped some clothes on and made my way downstairs for some coffee, I did so with a sense of gratification: “What a great morning in the woods! And everything happened just like it's supposed to!” :)

I thought that working second shift might afford me a lot of good mornings in the woods - it's just getting harder and harder to drag my butt out of bed at 4:30 am! :snore: I only got out once - opening day - this sping gobbler season and tommorow's the last day here in PA!

I just wanted to share my "dream" hunt with you guys - congratulations to all of you who got your bird this spring! :hatsoff:

You had me...as I read it, I thought "what a textbook classic hunt"...then I got the punch line
:grin:

So you saved yourself the trouble of cleaning the downed bird that way. Good thinking, but the turkey dinner will be a bit on the light side. You sure sucked me in on that story.
You are right, second shift sucks when hunting. I work third shift and left early so I could get in my turkey hunting time. Leon

Leon/Iowa said:
So you saved yourself the trouble of cleaning the downed bird that way. Good thinking, but the turkey dinner will be a bit on the light side. You sure sucked me in on that story.
Yeah, but no one would know that by looking at me! (I don't look like I missed too many dinners!)
Leon/Iowa said:
You are right, second shift sucks when hunting. I work third shift and left early so I could get in my turkey hunting time. Leon
I forced myself out of bed on Sat. to get out for the last morning here in PA. The woods are so greened up by now here, the mosquitoes so hungry, and the weather so warm & humid... I didn't last too long. Oh well, there's always next year!

I hope no one took offense to my "leading you on"... it was literally the scenario that I was picturing in my mind all month, though. You know how it goes?... you wait all year for hunting season - then other responsibilities (like work! :shake: ) keep you from it - if you're like me, you actually start to feel depressed about not getting out in the woods. :frown: I've only ever shot one spring gobbler - about 5 or 6 years ago when I was totally obsessed! I guess that's what it takes! It actually was as "text book" as the dream I described above. What a rush! :hatsoff:

Back