• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question about Ballistol...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have just recently started using Ballistol. When working up a load for my Mowrey I used it for patch lube and after my usual cleaning with hot soapy water and drying the bore I coated the bore with Ballistol.

The next day when I wiped the bore prior to another shooting session the patches came out dark reddish brown, just like they would in a rusty bore. The bore is like a mirror with no rust.

When I used 3in1 oil after cleaning the patches came out clean with only oil on them. Is this normal with Ballistol?

Well it's normal for flash rust, switch to luke warm water/ baby bath temps and that'll help.

Ballistol doesn't make a very good storage or rust preventive oil. It's a water soluble oil, meaning it mixes with water real easy as well as atmospheric moisture and that created by condensation temp swings, therefore IMHO not a good protection oil.

I use Ballistol for patch lube following Dutch's papers, but use a normal Petroleum gun oil for rust prevention. I've had No problems for the last decade as long as I clean the oil out before shooting.

I use it after I clean and don't get any rust. Somewhere on this site there is some test results for a number of rust preventatives and Ballistol was right up with the better of them

I use Ballistol to lube my patches per Dutch. 3 in 1 oil has served me well for bore protection and preventing nipples from seizing. I give the bore a very light swab with a paper towel patch coated with 3 in 1 when done cleaning, and don't do anything other than shoot off a few grains of real black powder before a range session. Works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stone Knife said:
I use it after I clean and don't get any rust. Somewhere on this site there is some test results for a number of rust preventatives and Ballistol was right up with the better of them

Sorry, it is the other way around. Ballistol is a fine cleaner and lubricant but it utterly fails as a rust preventative. I did one of those tests.

Once, I tried using Ballistol as a rust protection in my rifles bore and ended up with similar flash rusting.

One of these days when I run out of Stumpkillers Moose Juice I might try Ballistol as a patch lube but that's the only way it's going to get inside one of my guns bores again.

Birchwood Casey Barricade on the other hand is excellent.
It prevents rust for long periods of time. It drys to a thin layer that doesn't cause problems with black powder fouling.
Its dry coating also protects the outside of the barrel from the oils and acids that peoples hands leave when they touch it.

It's all around good stuff! :)

I use Ballistol as a patch lube but I use Barricade as a rust preventive. Ballistol is great stuff but it is not a good rust preventive.

I use it to rust preventative and it works well regardless of the humidity. The trick is to get the bore really dry. After I clean and dry the bore I run a patch with alcohol followed by a dry patch. I can tell the difference of how dry the bore is by the resistance of that last dry patch. After that I use a patch with Ballistol. Since I’ve used this method I have never had rust.

Flash Pan Dan said:
I use it to rust preventative and it works well regardless of the humidity.

Not in my experience. Down 'chere' in Georgia and Florida where the humidity is usually 90 to 100% during the summer, it just doesn't work as well as other options. Works ok on the barrel, but CLP, Barricade and Breakfree seems to be up at the top of the list for preventing/protecting against rust. Personally, I use Stumpy's mixture for inside the barrel.

GreenMt said:
Which test?

There is an old thread here someplace. A search should find it.
I simply used Ballistol to store some rifles after normal cleaning. A month later they were rusty. Conclusive for me.
Others have different results. Pick yer own pizzen.

Depending on how long I leave them before shooting again I have found that many oils today need to be used two or three times over a couple of days. I now use PB-Blaster and I have had no rust occurring after swabbing the bore with it. It keeps the cleanout screw and nipple from sticking as well.

Geo. T.

Zonie said:
Once, I tried using Ballistol as a rust protection in my rifles bore and ended up with similar flash rusting.

One of these days when I run out of Stumpkillers Moose Juice I might try Ballistol as a patch lube but that's the only way it's going to get inside one of my guns bores again.

Birchwood Casey Barricade on the other hand is excellent.
It prevents rust for long periods of time. It drys to a thin layer that doesn't cause problems with black powder fouling.
Its dry coating also protects the outside of the barrel from the oils and acids that peoples hands leave when they touch it.

It's all around good stuff! :)

I thought flash rusting occurred from using too hot of water?

I probably shouldn't have said "flash rusting".
It should have said superficial rusting because it was just on the surface.

I did have a case of true "flash rusting" once and it wasn't from using hot water either.

A used muzzleloader I bought came with some "extras" as they often do.

In these "extras" was a bottle of Thompson Center #13 Bore Cleaner so after shooting one of my cap & ball pistols I figured I'd give it a try.

It cleaned the bore nicely. Too nicely.

Before I could even wipe out the bore with a clean cleaning patch it had rusted and the cleaning patch came out with a nice red rust color.

I couldn't believe my eyes ! :shocked2:

Out of curiosity I got down one of my clean, unfired C&B pistols and ran a patch thru the bore. Nice and clean. :)

I then ran a new patch coated with the TC #13 thru the bore and quickly ran another dry clean patch thru it. It was also rusted.

Needless to say, I pitched that #13 about as far as I could into the trash. :(

Oh, I also re-cleaned my newly rusted guns the old fashioned way with soap and water and protected the bores with BC Sheath, the old name for Barricade and they both have survived the ordeal nicely.

Latest posts

Back