• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A pair of new Pats for me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
Went to an auction yesterday and picked up a pair of 1836 Patersons. very cool guns, I can hardly wait to shoot them. One has been shot quite a bit and shows alot of honest wear to the finish, the other doesn't appear to have been fired. These are made by Uberti. I believe one was made in '91 and the other in '94. Has any one ever seen a barrel marking like this?
pats2.jpg

pats3.jpg

Alos in the lot was this cased '61 Navy by Uberti. I believe it was made in '71. Super smooth action and finish. Silever plate back starp and guard too. I beleive this one to be unfired also.
pats4.jpg

WOW!! Great finds. Sorry, can't answer your question as to barrel marking. It would appear to be maybe a commemorative series?? Are both barrels marked the same way?

I presume you got the year of manufacture from the date codes BA, BD and XXX. One of my references says Uberti didn't start making the Paterson until 1998, so if you can confirm the codes I'll correct that reference.

I can find no reference to a special commemorative series with the barrel marking; the only ones I've seen personally had the marking, so perhaps the other one is the odd one.

Yep, BA and BD on the Pats. The '61 is marked XX7....or maybe XX1...hard to tell the last character

I just pulled my paterson out of it's special box. Mine on top of the barrel say
Texas Paterson Cal.36 with the same squigilies on either side. And congratulations for becoming a Colt Paterson owner.

Mike Brooks said:
Yep, BA and BD on the Pats. The '61 is marked XX7....or maybe XX1...hard to tell the last character
Very good, thanks.

My date chart says XXI (or XX1) is 1964, XX7 is 1971.

The "like new" Pat is charcoal blued. Other than the serial #'s and typical Italian proofs the only other marking are ".36 cal black powder only - made in Italy" on the bottom of the barrel.
I've got the Uberti box it came in and all the paper work and it seems to have been sold through Cabelas in 1998.

Back