• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Georgia Longrifle W. Higgins by Steve Boyleston

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
TG Pineyone can give the details on this fabulous longrifle in the style of Willey Higgins, a rare not often seen Georgia gunsmith.
NewLongriflePhotos001.jpg
NewLongriflePhotos002.jpg

I would like to thank Capt Joel for his help with the photos. In 1984 I found one of the earliest Georgia rifles to date. It is called the Gamecock Rifle, can be seen on Mel Hanklas site. I paid $27.50 for it at Auction in Flomaton Alabama. Over the years I wanted to build a rifle with Higgins design influences, paneled butt plate, North Carolina stock design and Sterling Silver trim,. I had a client read up on Higgins and ask me to build a version of one. This is a grease hole southern rifle with a brass surround to look like a cap box, heavy engraving, all of the Silver is engraved except the side for stock inlays, There is a nice Comb inlay, a Urn under the front trigger guard- the guard is also engraved. The side plate is Southern style as well. Steve Boyleston

I honestly think this may be one of the nicest rifles I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

"she's a stout looker"

Very handsome gun. Like the engraved trim around the lock. Nice carving too. I didn't realize you were a builder until I looked around MLF tonite. Appreciate your work.

WOW!! Nice engraving, inletting, I especially like the surround on the grease hole. You are an artist!

Those lonely nights at the hunting camp. That is the first grease hole I have seen with an ornament inletted around it-very nice.

Back