• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"A Few Acres of Snow"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ T Frizzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone read "A Few Acres of Snow" by Robert Leckie? If so, any thoughts as to its historical accuracy and validity as an F&I War reference?

No , but I will try to find it , thank you for
the information .

By the way , this citation was from Voltaire,

Legend says that Louixs XV answered " but
how do you explain that your british friends want it so much "

You've been to Borders haven't you? lol

I picked up a hardcover copy of it myself about 2 weeks ago for 10 bucks. I haven't had a chance to read it yet though.

NOT reccommended....Any historian who can confuse William the Silent & William of Orange(100 years apart), AND aims vicious insults at characters as varied as Elizabeth I & Cromwell(all this in a book on the F&I Wars)..is not on my must-read list...
Steve

I'm discovering inaccuracies by the dozen, too. I very much doubt if the author has ever loaded or fired a musket or even seen it done. He also thinks that mounted troops are called "calvary" and he claims to know the exact reason that the Brown Bess was named such. And he perpetuates the myth that Black Berthold discovered black powder, something long considered fanciful by most folks. All this in the first sixty pages, too!

havibng long been a Robert Leckie fan I have to admit A Few Acres of Snow was disappointing to say the least. Overly long, wordy, and way too many inacurracies. His 2 books about the marines, Helmet For My Pillow and Strong Men, Armed are both great.
I think Crucible of War is a great history of the whole conflict, and has information about the conflict all over the world.
Another great book is White Savage, which covers a relatively small part of the French and Indian War. Very informative and fascinating

Thanks for the information. I was in Boaders and I thought about buying that book. You guys saved me some money and from getting inacurate information. It's great to have folks like you on the forum.

Everybody here please send me your full name. That way when my own book is published, I'll make sure you won't buy a copy and that your check is promptly returned. That way I won't see "Gary phucked up here.... and there... and did you catch the mistake in C7... and he really believes that... I wonder who taught him to read and who ever said he could write?" all over this board. :redface:

An analogy of the book would be that all the anecdotes are like "dots" and connecting them into a coherent story was the tough part. Crayons not included. :rotf:

Dot those "i" and cross those "t" ya know we will Gary , were just sitting here a waiting. :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

I was in Borders yesterday and saw a book on the F&I war called A Crucible of War. Is tis book any good. Thanks in advance for your comments.

chuckpa said:
I was in Borders yesterday and saw a book on the F&I war called A Crucible of War. Is tis book any good. Thanks in advance for your comments.

It is a good book. It is very interesting and informative. Covers the whole 7 years war, not just the North American parts. The down side is, it reads like a text book. Very dry.

Back