• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple of new horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I stopped by my buddy's shop yesterday and saw 2 new horns that I couldn't live without. :grin:
The flash on the camera washed out a lot of the color. :redface:

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Wow, your buddy does good work. Those butt plugs are impressive. :thumbsup:
Scott

:thumbsup: I wonder how he did the but plugs? But a nice job and I see why you could not live without them..................

:thumbsup: I like those. Love the color and the way he did the butt plugs. Looks like he used a burl or something similar. Real nice.

Halftail said:
Nice Pair!
What kind of wood for them Butts?

Thanks everybody for the compliments.

Halftail, I'm pretty sure the plug in the bigger horn is maple, but I'm not sure about the priming horn.
He installs the plugs and then shapes them with rasps and files. I've got 6 of his horns now and they all have plugs like the 2 in the picture. I guess you could call it his trademark. :wink:

fw707 said:
I've got 6 of his horns now and they all have plugs like the 2 in the picture.

OK...you've crossed the line now...we're blue collar folks here and you shouldn't have SIX of those or people might talk...just send that pair right on down here to me before word gets out!

They are pretty for sure...do you collect them or actually use them all?

Roundball, I use all the horns. I have a bag set up with horns for each of my guns so when I just grab it and go I've got everything with me for that particular gun. I've also got 2 horns that I made in my buddy's shop several years ago while he and I were building me a rifle.
I don't have a gun yet for these particular horns, but my buddy is rounding up parts for a smoothbore that he's gonna build for me this winter. :wink:
Seems like it never ends, huh?? :shake: :haha:

Here's some of the other horns:

Pouchesandhorns3-10-07018.jpg

Pouchesandhorns3-10-07020.jpg

HornbyA.jpg

HornbyAB.011.jpg

The nails in the plugs are old square nails he has saved from old cabins that he's torn down and rebuilt over the years. I'm sure they are over 100 years old.

nchawkeye said:
That's good stuff there...Any way to get him to post a few for sale on here, so the rest of us could enjoy them???

He doesn't have a computer.

Really some excellent craftsmanship there...please pass on Kudos next time you see him !!
:thumbsup:

Back