• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A COIL spring operated Tanegashima lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty cool pictures! Brass springs no less …

By my read, the forward one provides rotational torque to the serpentine, whilst the other one applies torque to the sear lever, to keep it in the ‘raised’ position. Pulling the trigger would pull the sear lever down.

0BD3117E-31F0-4C31-9076-A906320372F6.jpeg
13675DA6-7B44-441C-B91C-68872DE7452D.jpeg
E834DA53-3D48-4E7E-8A5F-513735BC2747.jpeg

... notice how this sear spring has a system to allow for the compensation of the spring wearing out. It looks like this one is at its full extent.
It might accomplish that, but that feature was actually designed to allow for a heavier or lighter trigger pull, i.e., battle use or match use. I just got my English copy of Shigeo Sugawa's excellent book (the Bible) on Japanese Tanegashimas, and that's the 1st thing I picked up on the coil spring models.

It appears the bottom 2 locks, in the original post, are a "set" for a double barreled matchlock... a left and a right side. How cool!

It appears the bottom 2 locks, in the original post, are a "set" for a double barreled matchlock... a left and a right side.
It’s the same one lock, but the serpentine that isn’t positioned at the same 'degree of rotation' (in Pics 2 & 3) that gives the impression it comes out of perhaps a LH lockplate. Also note that the small whitish piece of ‘sand’ by the sear lever and coil is in the same relative place in Pics 2 & 3.

Note in Pic1 that the small leg of the serpentine is positioned OVER the sear nose, where it should be ‘trapped’ below it. If the spring was wound as such to provide a clockwise tuning motion, that serpentine should STILL be trying to turn to the right, right? As such, the only thing that would stop it, would be for that small ‘S’ leg to be below the sear nose, i.e., held from moving.

Also note that the bigger, apparently non-movable wide lug at the bottom of the lock plate appears to function to block full 360 rotation of the serpentine. Thus, if there is not enough torque or energy now in the spring (doesn’t appear to be wound well, else the serpentine shouldn’t stay in position as in Pic 1) then perhaps someone had disassembled it & put it back together incorrectly?

That’s my bet anyways, as perhaps that bottom ‘anti-rotation’ lug - if not movable - is peened into place and the assembler didn’t wind up enough turns to the spring before hanging the serpentine (with that anti-rotation lug in the way). Best I can guess via cyber-space anyways!

Back