• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A cheap way to make targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats true, but for practice I find it good enough. We leave the last target on the frame and paste a new one on top which seems to help.

I been thinking of what to replace the foam material on the real estate sign I use to pin my targets to and the belting will be just what the DR. ordered. Thanks for the idea.
As for the target itself I use paperplates push pinned to the real estate sign and can push it into the ground at any desidered distance from the bench I want it at. A range finder was used to locate the 25, 50, 100 yard and now I know where they need to be at the club as that is the only place I shoot.
As for the targets themself, I like most just use the cheapest plain white paper plates and use a magic marker to just draw a dot in the center. I use a short, ( 1/2 inch long) cut off piece of pvc pipe to use for the circle template.A 2 inch for 100 yards and a 1 inch for the 25 and 50 yard.

Hey guys, you were talking about the copier paper targets don't give you round holes. Your just using the wrong copier paper! :hmm:
The reason I say this, my daughter just married last summer, ([url] 1yr.in[/url] July). Anyway the point to this they made up some little remeberances they gave out at the door.
The paper they used to type these on is light cardboard. Not for sure but I think it was bought at Wallyworld or Office Depot. It runs thru the copier just fine, and the paper is an off pink color. Black outlines and dots from free printed targets stand out well, at 100yds. :shocked2:
The best part is there is nearly a whole ream of it here. :rotf: :rotf: I was going to offer a link to free targets but the one I had has been cancled. I will have to look for others! :redface: :grin: :rotf: :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes a big difference if you put some heavier stock in your printer. :hatsoff:
The Wal-Mart I go to has several weights of printer paper.

Until recently, Remington would give you all the free targets you wanted if you paid shipping. These were the heavy paper sight in targets that sporting goods stores charged you 25 cents apiece for. Before they quit giving them away I got 250 of them for $6 shipping.

I used to shoot our mail box with a pellet rifle as a kid. After many years of doing so, I finally heard that," Some one shot our mail box with a shot gun!" Oops. :redface:

I mainly print mine out on cheap copy paper, that way i can tailor the size of the target to the range im shooting at, or the type of weapon i'm shooting.
for open sights i like a red O with a white center just big enough to see the outline of my front sight in the target surrounded by a visible red ring. That helps me center consistantly.
for my scoped rifles i'll do a 1 or 2 inch square turned 45 degrees, (think square diamond) and the corners of that rotated square help me hold the crosshairs consistantly when shooting for group size.
The eyes arnt what they were many moons ago ya know?

Now when i went through the LEA many years ago, much of the time we shot at the back side (blank) of targets, as that was a good way to concentrate on center of body mass, without being distracted by target rings. i still do that some now, particularly when prepping for hunting season.

Oh and if you can find some of the heavy paper seperators, used in some shipping containers, they work great to mount targets on, & ball or bullet cuts a neater hole at least til you shoot the center out of it LOL.

I use the USA Today as a source of targets -- mainly because it has no other use after I work the crossword puzzle. :grin:

CS

Latest posts

Back