• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a box arrived today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered a kit awhile back back, that had issues, so it was sent back. BAsically, it came with the wrong size ramrod, the inletting I had paid for was not done, and the barrel I was sent was unmarked even though i was told it was a longhammock instead of the green mountain i had ordered.

A box arrived today with some parts. The inletting is done, not what I hoped for but much better than before and I think I can handle the rest of it. The ramrod is the proper size now. Then I looked at the barrel. The breechplug was installed, the sights dovetailed in, and the staples installed. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the front staple is loose. One end is barely hanging on, while the other is not even attached. And it is still the same Longhammock barrel they sent me at first instead of the GM i had asked for.

So here is my dillema. Should I send it back again, and demand that I either get what I paid for or my money back? or should I try and work with what I ended up with? I've heard that the longhammock barrels dont measure up to GM, is that correct? Also, with the front staple being just barely atached enough to not fall out, It seems I will not be able to get the barrel attached solidly and therefore should get erratic accuracy at best, and a shotgun at worst. The way I see it, I was not looking to pay this much for something that will only spit lead in a general direction...

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you all.

thats kinda BS. Who/what company was it you bought it from.
Now im not too up to date on the barrel types and their capabilities, but if that is not what u wanted and the work wasn't done up to your request, have them correct it promptly or like u said and get your money back. If they cant get it right the first time thats one thing, mistakes can happen, but the second time, :nono: :nono:

my $.02

I'd package it all up and send it back, with a note that reads, SEND MY MONEY BACK.
I wouldn't put up with that BS.
Twice

Depending on how much you paid...you can get a real nice kit with absolutely no BULL from Jim Chambers. His are fantastic and you get what you pay for....quality and a great person on the other end of the phone if you run into anything along the way.

Again...just my 2 cents

Depends on what you're looking for. Would I take a Longhammock barrel at a GM price. Absolutely! Others may not. I know some folks who think GM makes a better barrel than Rice.

As to the staples, I have 2 rifles with staples. One of them I installed per the instructions included with them and they are loose in the barrel. I even screwed on up and had to move it a little farther up the barrel so I have a couple of holes where a staple was. You would swear they were going to fall out, but they never have and the rifle shoots better than I cold hold it.

Jim Chamber's makes a fine kit. I've put one together as well. But if your expecting inletting like what you see on a T/C or Lyman (what I refer to as snap-together) you're going to be disappointed. I have over 160 hours in my Chambers Haines rifle and there's a lot of inletting on a rifle that is 90-95% inletted. A lot of inletting left.

The bottom line is you have to be happy with what you paid for. If you feel you're not getting what you paid for, talk to the guy. Most of the dealers in this business are willing to work with you.

Tightening up that staple should be a pretty simple thing. With a small punch you can form the steel of the barrel down tight to the staple in just a couple of minutes.

But- I would be ****** OFF that this is the best they can do after they screwed it up the first time. I'm the type that tends to work around the incompetency of others so I'd probably keep it and build it but I sure do understand sending it back too.

If you don't mind, could you send me the name of the folks on the other end? I'm researching a couple of builds now and would like to avoid these folks if possible.

Twice wrong ? :shake: Send it back & demand a Full Refund. I see no excuse for all of that to be wrong with the kit. :cursing: especially TWICE !!

WOW.... holy shite.... i would be right mad if i paid that for a kit, not finished for a second time. for about or that price here on this forum there are a few makers that could make you what ever you like, and you wouldnt have any problems at all.

who was this company that you ripped off?

Since some here like the barrel see if anyone would buy it for what you paid or send it back.

I recall your first post made after you just got the box for the first time... I think most people (includng me) advised you to give the builder a chance to make it right, which you did. They, however, didn't.

You did the right thing, now its their turn... send it back listing the issues you have with it and demand a full refund, along with your shipping costs.

In my opinion, a "reputable" builder would have said "oh sh*t" when you told them about the original problem, and bent over backwards to make sure the second shipment was correct.

I would appreciate it if you let us know who it is... but that is up to you.

40rpd, you are correct. I spoke and emailed the builder and was under the impression that things would be made right. Looking over the emails i received from the seller, along with remembering the conversation, I still believe the seller himself did, or at least tried to do things right. Unfortunately, the problem is that the seller uses one business name/address/etc., but outsources some of their work, such as inletting stocks, dovetailing barrels for sights, installing underlugs, etc. I was instructed to send everything back to the other shop to have the issues fixed, and then received the box back from the same outsourced company. All this happened too quickly for it to have gone back to the original seller or be inspected by anyone other than the shop doing the work.

The more i think about this, and the more things make sense, the only thing the original seller did wrong was hire an unreliable shop to handle some of his work for him. I will still do business with the original seller, but only on the condition that any work I want done goes to somebody other than the drunk monkey with a few powertools they use now. Without that promise, they have lost my future business. Then again, at least the next gun will be from somebody else so I at least have experience with another outfit to compare to this last one. I can decide then.

I would assume they read the address when they wrote it on the box, but ya just never know nowadays... I really dont think it should matter. If it makes a difference, i do have one of them newfangled assault type leveractions in .45 Colt too. But I dont think they'll be impressed. I just wonder if I should just see what I can fix myself and make it work or send it back. I've been wanting a small caliber flinter for a while so i'll probably just work with it and see what I can do. I need some sleep for now though--night shift comes too soon.

If there's a posibility of sending it back....don't mess around w/ any part of it because that might be the excuse they need to not accept it back. After 2 disastrous attempts, I'd send it back for a full refund and buy a Chambers kit.......Fred

Lonegun1894 said:
i do have one of them newfangled assault type leveractions

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You do realize that the design of your "new" gun was superseded in the beginning of the last century right??? :hatsoff:

Sorry to hear of your problems. It's not fun to run into situations like that when you are trying to get a project up and running. Hope they make it right for you in a timely fashion.

Chad

Back