• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A 50 cal. bullet for these parameters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbane

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am thinking of participating in the World Creedmoor Competition next year in Brisbane, Australia, and I noted to my pleasure that Muzzleloaders were permitted. However, when it comes to the .50 cal rifle, the rules state that for safety purposes that it should shoot a 500 grain bullet at a minimum of 1210 fps to be allowable for the 800-1000 yard match. Now I was intending to enter this match without any serious plans of winning, so take note of that when considering the following queries:

* Does anybody make such a bullet commercially, or would I have to cast my own? If so who makes molds for a bullet that size in 50 calibre?

* I would like to use a Lyman Deerstalker modified to take a tang sight; would this rifle be able to generate the velocity required with its 24 inch barrel?

I know the Lyman does not have a great sighting radius compared to other rifles against which I would be competing, but the fact that the rifle is also economical and great for hunting are both important factors for me. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, if any of you are coming over for this shoot, I would be glad to try and host a hunt just before or after the event!

Go to the HuntAmerica site and to the Modern Muzzleloader forum. As the same question there. Nothing like asking the guys that make them. Do not tell them I sent ya! That will not help you getting assistance there!

"... that it should shoot a 500 grain bullet at a minimum of 1210 fps to be allowable for the 800-1000 yard match. "

Sounds like a conspiracy against .50 cal shooters to me.
My Lyman Catalog does not list any .50 cal bullet molds that cast .50 cal bullets that heavy.

You might want to get ahold of:
Montana Precision Swaging
P.O.Box 4746
Butte, Mt 59702
Phone and Fax (406) 494-0600

They may have either a grooved bullet or a paper patch bullet that would work for you.

I buy my muzzleloading Schuetzen Paper Patched bullets from them and although the price is fairly high, the quality is excellent.

Be sure to tell them it is for a muzzleloader because this use needs pure unalloyed lead.

I would suggest that if your using a grooved bullet you would want one which is about .497-,498 diameter. If your using paper patched bullets, the size would depend on what thickness of paper your going to use.

For my Schuetzen, which is a .400 caliber I use .390 diameter bullets.
I patch these using .002 thick dress pattern paper with two wraps thickness. This makes the patched bullet diameter .390+.002+.002+.002+.002 or .398 finished diameter.

I have never had any indications of leading with these patched bullets and the accuracy is great.
I will point out that the Schuetzen's barrel is made for this type of bullet. The rifleing is only .003 deep with a 1:18 twist.

A potential problem with your gun and these heavy bullets is the twist.
Because of the weight requirement, the bullet will be fairly long and long bullets require fast twists to stabilize them.
Perhaps someone on the forum can figure out how long a .50 cal 500 grain bullet would be and then calculate the minimum twist that would be needed?

The 2nd Edition of Lymans Blackpowder Handbook gives a load for a 1:48 twist, 24 inch, .50 cal barrel shooting a 490 grain Buffalo HP Conical bullet using Goex FFg powder as follows:
100 grains = 1253 FPS
110 grains = 1338 FPS
120 grains = 1423 FPS

With the 500 grain bullet, I would think the 110 or 120 grain loads would meet the velocity requirement. (It will also make your light weight gun really stomp you so be prepared.) :grin:

you could try the long range mzl ldng site - join the message board at[url] www.lrml.org/[/url] i know there are a few australians there who could also help you with sourcing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for those replies. I am new to the BP world, but even so the bullets weights for long range seem to be really huge to me. Runner, I found the same thing at Lyman, and wondered whether it was some sort of conspiracy to cause recoil related injuries! I think I might give this one up as a lost cause, and concentrate on hunting or lower key target shooting instead.

Latest posts

Back