• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

8 bore goosed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the shot was 2 ounce 3's powder pyrodex ctg grade f 4 1/2 drams location was longforgan on a farm next to the river tay, dave

Nice one Dave. What kind of yardage or range was the shot? I've never taken a goose before but I'm pretty mush set up to try this year.

hi the shot was not far or that high roughly 20 to 25yds about 30ft high so it wasnt a challenge that will have to be another day i hope

Beautiful animal, the rifle can be a Zouave?
I have one similar but it is in .45-caliber and with canon striated

Z13.jpg
[/img]

Hi Romel my 8 bore was made by antonio zoli late 1978 so its 33 years old, they are no longer made wich is a shame as they are well made its max load is 2 ounce of lead and 5 1/2 drams bp

dave m h said:
the shot was 2 ounce 3's powder pyrodex ctg grade f 4 1/2 drams location was longforgan on a farm next to the river tay, dave
For the benefit of those on the upstream end of the Gulf Stream who might not be aware of the shot size differences, U.K. #3s are approximately eqivalent to U.S. #4s according to most tables I've seen.

Does anyone have a table, or a link to one, that has the actual size, count, and/or weight of the traditional U.K. shot sizes, and maybe some of the current European ones as well? All the references I can locate now-a-days have an equivalence table but the specifications are for the U.S. sizes, and I remember seeing something decades ago that showed the actual specifications for the U.K. and some other shot-size systems, and I recall some sizes being effectively the same, some close but not exactly the same, and some more in-between the U.S. sizes.

Regards,
Joel

shot sizes i hope this helps

SIZE-- ø "-- ø mm--Pellets/oz
LG---.36----9.1----6

SG---.33----8.4----8

SSG--.27---6.8----15

AAA--.20---5.2----36

BB US-.18--4.5----50

BB UK-.16--4.1----70

2 US--.15---3.8----90

1----.14----3.6----100

3----.13----3.3----140

4----.12----3.1----170

5----.11----2.8----220

6----.10----2.6----270

7----.095---2.4----340

7.5--.09----2.3----400

8----.085---2.2----450

9----.080---2.0----580

THESE ARE NOMINAL SIZES FOR ................. LEAD

STEEL SHOT SIZES(AMERICAN)

Size----- ø "----pellets/oz
TTT-----.22-----39
F--------.218---40
TT------.210---46
T-------.20-----54
BBB---.19------61
BB----.18------70
B-----.17------87
1-----.16------102
2-----.15------125
3-----.14------163
4-----.13------187
5-----.12------244
6-----.11------291

For sizing bird shot, use the "Rule of 17". That is, subtract the # size of your shot, from 17 to get its diameter in hundredths of an inch. ex. #6 shot, subtracted from 17 = .11" diameter.

I think some of the numbers you have shown here are for English measurements which are smaller by one number, if your other data is accurate.

There are tables giving pellet counts per ounce for all these pellet sizes, and can be found in the common Hunter Safety Course Manual used in all states and Canadian provinces. You can get the same info from shot makers and shotshell makers- their websites- and from other websites. We even have the data posted here on the forum.

paulvallandigham said:
For sizing bird shot, use the "Rule of 17". That is, subtract the # size of your shot, from 17 to get its diameter in hundredths of an inch. ex. #6 shot, subtracted from 17 = .11" diameter.
That's for U.S. shot sizes, Paul. There at least used to be a number of "national" shot size systems, which did not agree on the numbering. I don't know when the standardization was, but the U.S. manufacturers agreed on the current system based on even increments of pellet diameter. AIUI, the U.K. manufacturers traditionally used sizing based on pellets per ounce, with some differences between manufacturers. These shot sizes did not necessarily fall on an even increment of .010" or .005" diameter, so the different sizes did not necessarily exactly match U.S. ones, nor were there necessarily even corresponding sizes in use to the various U.S. ones. There was apparently a rationalization among the manufacturers, but the sizes still did not necessarily match the closest U.S. ones, nor were all possible sizes necessarily in use - #2 seems to be missing from many U.K. tables, for example - and they still did not necessarily have the same designation as the closest U.S. size. What prompted my question is that some equivalency tables, such as those by Hallowell and Griffin & Howe appear to be using the specifications for the corresponding U.S. shot sizes, and others like this and this don't match exactly. All of this prompted me to go do some more web-searching, and I came across this photo of a spec. sheet of unknown vintage from Ely, posted on a U.K. board:

which ties with the numbers Dave gave (Thanks, Dave), and where the pellet counts look traditional, but the sizes rounded off to the nearest .005". To further complicate things, there are metric shot sizes based on even increments of shot diameter, like the U.S., and what I've read on some U.K. sites suggests some manufacturers are using the closest traditional size designation for these even-increment metric shot sizes. All of this can make it difficult to figure out if, for example, the U.K. #6s someone recommends for pigeons is closer to a U.S. #7 or a #6.5, and this is why I asked.

Regards,
Joel

#7 shot only began to show up here in the States when it began to be used in both Olympic Competition, and in some Sporting Clays events. For American Trap and Skeet, we used #7 1/2 shot or # 8, or #9 shot for skeet. I remember searching for loading data for #7 shot back in the late 1980s, and having lots of problems locating a source for that shot size, even from the local distributor. Finding a Shot bushing for my reloading press to throw a 24 gram( About 4 #7 1/2 pellets less than a 7/8 oz load) load of shot, then finding the right size shot cup for such a load. We didn't have a bunker trap or skeet field available. but we did have a Wabble Trap, which could have its springs tightened so that the heavier targets used in Olympic events could be throw at the 90 MPH velocities.(vs. 60 mph standard for US TRAP and SKEET).

Latest posts

Back