• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.72 caliber conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@52Bore My experience has been similar. I've never shot a .72 conical but I have shot several deer and a couple of coyotes with a 420 gr. flat nose to 550 gr. round nose bullets from my Sharps 45-90. The bullets were cast 30:1. They just whistle right through. I can't tell you about expansion because I've never recovered a bullet. They were each perfectly deadly though.

A PRB from my .72 seems actually to perform better. I still recover few balls but the exit wounds are much larger. This makes me feel like perhaps there is more of the bullet energy actually transfered to the animal.

does anybody know where to get heavy .72 caliber conical bullets?
ill look and see where i got mine i got some 800 grains and 1000 gr the 800 were short and stubby the 1000 were longer. Roundballs shot much more accurately than the .72 conicals i shot 100 grains of 2F and pyrodex rs out of mine with conicals. at 25 yards i got huntable accuracy at 50 yards the grouping fell apart. at 50 yards mty roundball loads are around 1 1/2 inches. i believe i could shoot better at 50 if i tweaked the powder some. my normal shooting range at my hog set ups are less than 25 yards

You guys shooting conicals in double rifles be careful and ram the second shot before firing it. I tried some and the recoil pulled the bullets a few inches forward in the second barrel. Between that and the lower velocity I decided to stick with patched balls. Besides, 535 grains at slightly over 1500 fps seems sufficient.

does anybody know where to get heavy .72 caliber conical bullets?
You can purchase a mold from Pedersoli. I bought mine through Dixie Gun Works, who is a Pedersoli dealer. I worked with Kelly Atkins at Dixie. [email protected] See attached conical bullet pics below.

Also, see the link for one person who had a custom mold made: Forums.NitroExpress.com
Ron

F4125557-02C4-4DA3-A854-B6D0DD1C15F4.jpeg
6DA89EA9-BC90-43F9-9534-8624239A8044.jpeg
A65BA396-13EB-48B8-A529-652810A8032A.jpeg
363BD01C-AEE3-4818-8BCB-2D4CC39CD14C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back