• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

700 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got me a Enfield & a Zouvave & a 700 yard range to shoot, anyone shot one of these rifles this far? What loads & bullets should I be lookin at? any help would be great. Thanks.

I have only shot at 300 meters on a target with and enfield. Used standard CW bullet and load. Got minute of General accuracy. At the longer range you are looking at I wouldn't expect much without a lot of shooting.
First I would suggest you get a good note pad and record every shot and load. This will have to be done at each distance you shoot. because at the longer ranges 10yards will make a big change in your POI.
Second I don't feel your sights on those rifles will let you get better than maybe on paper 6ft by 6ft.
Now with excellent long range sights on the enfield you may be very happy with your recults but with the military sights anywhere close is all you will get. IMHP
Fox :thumbsup:

Sometime back in the 1870's Frankford Aresenal tested the .45-70 to 3200 yards. They were hitting a 20x20 target at that range.

Your rifles should be capable of 700 yards. You just need to go work up your loads. I dont know about the Zouave sights, but, if your Enfield is anywhere close to my Springfield sights, then 24" groups at 500 yards should be possible.

Yeah I remember the Sandy Hook tests......Reading about it that is..............The 45 70 bullets were coming down at a 45 degree angle.........the 500 grain bullets had a lot more range than the 405 jobbers....................Bob

But weren't those bullets backed by 80 grains of powder? Fired from longer chambers and longer cases?

Man...I wish I could find a place to shoot that would give me 700 yards!!! Where are you located??
You are gonna need a 400 to 500+ grain bullet for starters....solid base bullet for best accuracy and a stout powder charge around 80 to 100 grains....and when you pump out that much lead with that kind of powder you will surely Know it!

Shooting a Euroarms 1861 Enfield Musketoon with a Lyman 566 grain Parker-Hale Minie backed by 70 grains of Goex 2F, with no wind, I can put 95% of my shots in a 3X3 ft. target at 500yds using the military ladder sight from a sitting rest. However, this was after a mutli week work up of the rifle and myself and the projectile.

Located in South central Missouri. I am the long range director & we're fix'in to have 800 soon . We are shooting 300 to 700 yds now. We are the West Plains Waddies. And looking for more bodies, no fancy stuff just plenty fun .

reloader4410 said:
What loads & bullets should I be lookin at?

I shoot Enfield rifle out to 800 yards here in the UK. Rifle is an original short rifle, heavy barrel and 1 in 48 twist rifling.

Bullet is pure lead 565 grain RCBS Minie with a shallow base cavity. Lube is a mix of beeswax, olive oil and Cookeen (UK version of Crisco) in the ratio of 5 parts/ 4 parts/ 1 part. Load at 600 yards is 75 grains of TPPH (similar to Swiss No.4 / 1.5fg). For 800 yards I increase the charge to 80 grains.

Shooting is from the prone position with only a sling for support. No cross sticks or wrist rests.

This has been used successfully in competition; ie. winning or top three placings in National Rifle Championship matches.

See the article on: Managing the Enfield on my web site which may be of assistance if you are new to the rifle.

David

David....I know th 61 Enfield is said to be quite accurate at 700-800 yds. My range is only 100 yds and my 61 is giving a 2" group with minnies and 60 grains FFF. I am quite pleased with it!
I am currently scouting local farmland for a nice place to shoot with at least 500 yds pasture.
The problem around here is that too many farmers hang those NO TRESSPASSING signs everywhere...

reloader4410 said:
Located in South central Missouri. I am the long range director & we're fix'in to have 800 soon . We are shooting 300 to 700 yds now. We are the West Plains Waddies. And looking for more bodies, no fancy stuff just plenty fun .
good to read this being Misouri in a few years will be my new for good I hope home state more in the soutwest area up aound Buffalo or Urbana

Back