• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.69 Brown Bess? .63 Char?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IROCZ

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one catch "Battlefield Detectives"? The expert stated that the British Brown Bess fired a .69 ball? I have always took it as gospel that the BB was a .75 cal. I also thought the French musket was a .69 caliber. Am I wrong or are they? Thanks.

Both British and French militaries used balls .06" smaller than the bore or their muskets. The thinking was purely keep the muskets going when the fouling built up. Volley fire at close range didn't rely on individual accuracy...it was put all the lead in the air you could as fast as you could.

Military smoothbore muskets are no more inaccurate than any other type of smoothbore gun. Unfortunately it was the various military applications that led to accuracy problems. My old Potsdam musket was very accurate with a patched ball that fit the bore. Same is true for the original Besses or Charleville musket out there or their modern copies. In the military context they were miserably accurate but even the British Light Regiments in the Peninsula used a sighted, later version of the Bess with better fitted balls to hold their own against the French Voltiguer skirmishers. Just depends on how you use them.

INTERESTING. - And all this time I thought that "the greenjackets" were routinely armed with the Baker rifle, that was slow to load but deadly out to 200 yards or more.

yours, satx

The 95th rifles and other "green Jackets" were issued the Baker Rifles they fire a .665 belted ball that fit the rifling, slower to load but very accurate at long range. Also the majority of British muskets were closer to .77 cal. and as much as .80 cal. they issued undersize balls due to the variety of bore sizes in use.

Actually the "Light" regiments(43rd, 51st, 52nd, 68th, 71st, 85th & 90th) were used as skirmishers or light assault troops and worked in conjunction with the 95th (Rifle Regiment, Green Jackets, etc.), 60th or the rilfe armed light companies of the KGL. The riflemen were sometimes spread out through the "Light" regimetns as need, or worked together as a battalion of rilfemen. Depended on circumstance. In assault, the rifles and "light bobs" would advance to engage the French, usually skirmishers, and keep them at arm's length while the rest of the gang got their act in gear! Well, sort of!! :thumbsup:

Back