• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62. smoothbore performance ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon74

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of accuracy are you fellar's getting with PRB & what distance limits are you pushing ?

How many of you hunt with PRB for deer & what not ?

One of my first posts a few months back was looking for the same info. Fifty yards would be very good. 40 wouldn't be bad. 30 yards would be average.
Using a rear sight? Could make some difference.
As for me....no rear sight. 40 yards tops. Only hunted with my 62 caliber one season (2008) and got a nice size doe at 30 yards. She meandered 20 yards and folded. I'll be taking my 62 cal fowler again next season.

My wife and I each shoot a .67 cal. that will stay competative with most rifles to about 50yd.+.
Just last year my wife took a large 7 point at 45yd. with hers (.648RB over 70gr. of 3F).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Consistantly 50 yards offhand...........Sixty maybe but not reliable enough..........I've shot some three shot groups at 100 yards from the bench that looked good. Then the 4th and 5th shot would go off into the wile blue yonder..........Then I'd try another 3 shot group from the bench at 100 yards and wouldnt even hit the target...........Back to fifty I can put 10 shots in a nice round group 3 -4 inches........Move on out to 60 and maybe keep a few on a pie plate...........You will find your distance......................Bob

Toomuch 36 said:
My wife and I each shoot a .67 cal. that will stay competative with most rifles to about 50yd.+.
Just last year my wife took a large 7 point at 45yd. with hers (.648RB over 70gr. of 3F).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Weird...
I use the exact same load in my .67 caliber. You didn't elaborate--are your guns flintlocks? what maker are they?

I likewise can keep things tight as a rifle at 50
yards, but also out to 75 if I am being a good boy that day.

Before anyone gasps too much, YES, I am using an ULTRA-HI.

It works for me...

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

There are things you can do to help keep the consistency of the PRB out of a smoothbore after multiple shots. But, understand that without spinning, the Lead RB is basically going to act like a "Knuckleball " in Fast pitch( Major League) baseball. After 50 yds, or so, as velocity drops, even the heavy .58-.75 caliber balls are going to be affected by air and humidity, and will veer off the line of fire, opening the group.

Try running a Lubed cleaning patch down with the PRB when you load the PRB down onto the powder charge in your barrel. The lube helps keep fouling softer, and makes it easier for the Patch around the ball to push what little residue will exist down behind it into the powder, where it will be burned with the next shot, and expelled out the barrel.

My chronograph shows that lubing the barrel this way will reduce the SDV by half, and increase the velocity from 20-50 fps- a small amount to be sure, but a indication that adding more lube to the barrel is not going to hurt your MV. If you don't use a bore brush between shots-- and who even thinks to carry a bore brush into the field when hunting??!!!--- the residue that can build up in the bore will begin to affect the velocities of consecutive shots, and that increases the SDV, and contributes to larger groups.

I have tried this with Young Country 101 Lube, a predecessor to Bore Butter, Wonderlube, and Natural Lube 1000, but basically the same stuff. I have not yet tried this using a wet lube either based on an oil like ballistol, or a water based lube. I shy away from wet lubes for hunting, because I don't know when or if I am going to fire my gun, and don't want to take the chance of fouling my main charge with anything wet. But, that does not mean that these lubes won't produce the same results as the thicker lubes do.

And, using either an OP wad, or a filler between the powder and PRB, particularly in the larger caliber barrels) has given me lower SDVs in my testing. I increased the velocity of my 19 ga. fowler by more than 200 fps, by using a Walter's Fiber OP wad in the gun, and got a much more complete burning of my 2Fg powder charge behind that wad, also. I tried some Farina as a filler for a couple of shots, and the balls hit in the same POI as those fired in front of the fiber wads. I did not have my chronograph set up the day I used the filler, so I need to go back and fire some shots for a group over the chronograph, and then compare them to a fresh group fired using the OP wad.

Finally, most shooters are going to get ONE shot on a deer, and that is it. A 3 shot group that consistently shoots a very small group of holes at a given range is all you need for hunting.

I always smile when I hear shooters talking about 5 and 10 shot groups for MLers. Yeah, they are needed if you are target shooting, as these long strings are the way to separate the winners from the darn good shots!

But not for hunting.

When I am testing loads, I have no problem with a 5-shot group, but I also have that bore brush at the loading bench at the range, and don't hesitate to use it to clean the barrel thoroughly between shots. My purpose is to remove all the variables humanly possible so that I find out what a given combination of loaded components will do out of that gun on that day. I don't expect my off-hand, or field position shooting,( may involve rests) groups to be anywhere near as small as I might get on the target range. :hmm:

Yes... our guns are the Ultra-Hi Minuteman flinters.
We shoot a .648 ball w/.017 tick patch or a .662 bareball over a 70gr. 3F charge.
With shot I find mine like a load of l l/8 oz. of #8 shot or a half/half mixture of #4&#5 shot over two 1/2 felt cushon wads and 70gr. 3F.
These loads all work very well on appropriate game to at least 70yd.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

DSCF4200.jpg

I killed a button buck at 60 yds this fall with my smoothbore. I have hit gongs at 200 yds with it (but I miss alot too) cut cards, split the ball and shoot with rifle guys and manage to not embarrass myself. Takes practice and lots of it

Greenmtnboy, are you using a rear sight? I've the same basic fowler, mine was built by Jack Garner not Matt, yet accuracy has been inconsistant at best. My load is 2-1/2 drams FFF a 1/4" over powder wad and .600 rb with an .015 ticking patch.

John

Snow on the Roof said:
Greenmtnboy, are you using a rear sight? I've the same basic fowler, mine was built by Jack Garner not Matt, yet accuracy has been inconsistant at best. My load is 2-1/2 drams FFF a 1/4" over powder wad and .600 rb with an .015 ticking patch.

John

I use a a Crisco soaked fiber cusion wad and it seems to minimize fliers.

For what it is worth, I use a bit TOW instead of patching material.

My Tulle shoots fist sized groups at 50yds.

KHickam said:
I have hit gongs at 200 yds with it (but I miss alot too)
What size was this gong? I too have managed (occasionaly) to hit a 52" sawmill blade at some novelty shoots at this distance.
cut cards, split the ball and shoot with rifle guys and manage to not embarrass myself. Takes practice and lots of it
Haven't tried to cut the card or split the ball with the trade gun yet (but even done with the rifle it impresses the pilgrims).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I took a nice spike buck with my GM 62 last fall at 45 yds, and would have been comfortable shooting him at 60.

65 grains of 3f, In one side...out the other! Big exit hole :grin:

Greenmtnboy said:

Nice, but will it do this well every time?
Most will not. Its easy to shoot one group where all the errors cancel and things look pretty good.
I shot the smooth rifle barrel more than the rifle barrel on the test gun and found that it would often put 2-3 of 5 pretty close at 50-60 yards. But there were always 2-3 fliers and in my experience.
I have since sold the rifle but the guy that bought it wants me to stock the SB barrel into a complete gun. So it will get more testing since he is a pretty serious shooter.

Dan

It was an empty propane 5 gal tank. Not sure what the size of that is. Others of various sizes. Just get lucky sometimes I guess :thumbsup:

Dan Phariss said:
Greenmtnboy said:

Nice, but will it do this well every time?
Most will not. Its easy to shoot one group where all the errors cancel and things look pretty good.
I shot the smooth rifle barrel more than the rifle barrel on the test gun and found that it would often put 2-3 of 5 pretty close at 50-60 yards. But there were always 2-3 fliers and in my experience.
I have since sold the rifle but the guy that bought it wants me to stock the SB barrel into a complete gun. So it will get more testing since he is a pretty serious shooter.

Dan

I know all guns are different but this one is a shooter.
The thing that brought my groups together and created consistant accuracy was getting rid of the over powder wad( seat PRB directly on the powder) and using only pure lead.
:thumbsup:
I hope my new Tullie shoots as well!

I have a 62 smoothbore I don't shoot at paper much with it but I do like to knock around gal. milk jugs with it. It will hit a jug 7 or 8 shots out of 10 at 50 to 60 yards. I do have a rear sight and load with 70 gr.fff 600 ball and ticking for patch. This year I took a 4 pt. buck at 35 to 40 yards with it lung shot went about 30 yards and dropped.

Back