• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Max load for 62 cal smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3f is not for large bore smoothbore nor is patched ball
Please explain. 🙄
There are large numbers of us here who have great success with 3f in large smoothbores, one in particular posts regular success with even finer powder in large bore smoothbores with great regularity.
While a patched ball may not be historically correct for most smoothbores during most of the time period (there is evidence of its use late in the period by men in western Canada), it works well enough that most folks don't even consider trying more traditional methods....
What would be your criteria for patched ball or 3f powder not being for large bore smoothbores? What is your criteria for success?

Please explain. 🙄
There are large numbers of us here who have great success with 3f in large smoothbores, one in particular posts regular success with even finer powder in large bore smoothbores with great regularity.
While a patched ball may not be historically correct for most smoothbores during most of the time period (there is evidence of its use late in the period by men in western Canada), it works well enough that most folks don't even consider trying more traditional methods....
What would be your criteria for patched ball or 3f powder not being for large bore smoothbores? What is your criteria for success?
I’ve shot lots of 3f in a sawn off bess and in my TFC. I don’t think three can hurt a big caliber.
Howsomever I’ve seen a test that didn’t show much of a ballistic improvement charge for charge with 3 in larger bore, I mostly shoot 2,
But ask@ Britsmoothy about 4 f, he has solid on the ground experience

I prefer 3F in a .62 under any payload because it fouls less, is less sensitive to ramming pressure (or lack thereof when "running ball" or using a small wad to hold the bare ball in place) and takes less volume. The only time I would consider 2F in anything up to .75 caliber is if I was running low on 3F.

......we need Brit to chime in!!!
Wellllll,,,,,, yeah,,,, I always love hearing from Britsmoothy, and I love that he shows the results of what he says. But,,,,, especially on this topic,,,, I don't relish the way his input gets the ninnies whipped up into a frenzied swarm, lol. You know, the ones who never post results or any kind of factual support for their arguments? Those ninnies. 🙄 They swarm and fuss like yellow-jackets and act like they sting, but they are really just gnats.

I shoot my .62 caliber strictly as a shotgun. I've always used no more than 80 grains under a 1 1/8 ounce load of bird shot.

I asked a custom gun guy that question once and was told that, with properly seated load, my shoulder would give out before the breech did. He also said though that the best load would be well under that limit. I took it as any reasonable load that I found to work, for me was 80gr 2F, was well within the guns limit and so I don't worry about it.

Go out on a hot day, and shoot with spit patch. Increase the load until the bore is shooting "clean", with no hard fowling towards the muzzle. That will be the most efficient load for your smoothbore.

Me preocuparía más la masa del proyectil (u la obstrucción de un proyectil no colocado) que la carga de pólvora. Cargue accidentalmente algunas bolas y probablemente lo sabrá rápidamente cuando apriete el gatillo. La gente ha disparado 2 bolas a la vez sin hacer estallar el arma, pero generalmente tienen comentarios negativos sobre el retroceso y es posible que haya leído sobre una culata rota.
Creo que sería difícil cargar suficiente pólvora negra en un arma de avancarga moderna para hacerla estallar... dependiendo del proyectil... y si trabajamos hacia arriba, apuesto a que uno se detendrá antes del punto de posiblemente hacer estallar un arma. arriba😉

Pero entonces... ¿por qué?
¿Por qué golpearte con el arma y contigo mismo?
Si cargas de 75 a 90 granos con bola parcheada o tacos y bola, o cargas de 100 a 120 granos con bola completamente desnuda, haga el trabajo... ¿Cuál es el punto de ir más alto?
Ron LeClair (RIP) tomó un bisonte con un ánima lisa y una bola redonda de calibre 20. Si no recuerdo mal, su carga de pólvora era de unos 90 granos.
No entiendo la tendencia de la "magnumitis" de los tiradores de cartuchos, que se traslada a la avancarga tradicional.
Vale, pero si quieres cazar un cabo de búfalo en África, necesitas un cargador enorme y potente y una bola redonda sin plomo puro con parche, para una penetración extra, este es mi sueño, ja, ja, ja, como frederick selous.
I have a pedersoli slug shotgun 12 bore, I try with 120 grains Swiss n 2,but I think that 150 grains is possible, but muy shoulder don't think it ha ha ha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back