• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Hawken were to buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get a priceworth not too expensive Hawken in .62? Thanks for every advice.

Hello Kirrmeister

There's a guy I know who builds a .62 Hawken
[url] http://www.cooks-guns.com[/url]

Look on his site, and you'll see that he really likes his big bore Hawkens :)

I've handled a few of his guns and can guarantee that you'll be satisfied with the workmanship

Last edited by a moderator:
When you said "Hawken" I thought you meant a replica of the J&S or S. hawken rifles out of St. Louis.

If you're not concerned about style, the options are greater. I would not advise anyone to build a St. Louis Hawken until they are very comfortable building guns.

You could readily build your own large caliber percussion rifle. Another alternative is to take an existing rifle with a large diameter barrel (1" at least) and install a new .62 barrel.

If historically correct is not an issue than you can do what me and another more knowledgeable fellow on here are doing. We bought .62 cal smoothbore barrels from Cain's and are having them rifled by E.Rayl. I bought my Thompson center parts off Ebay. Now I have a flint hawken in 52 smoothbore and a soon to be .62 in smoothbore and rifled with an L&R replacement lock Renegade.

I'm trying to find the old threads now to get the address and where to buy a traditional sights from and Rayl's contact info again.

Good luck!

Billy

WK:

Mr. Cook builds handsome rifles, but... they all appear to be OVERhammers. Didn't see an UNDERhammer on the page. You're not going to bail on your favorite lock, are you?? :grin:

http://search.ebay.com/thompson-cen...sspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aSSQ3aUSQ3a21QQversionZ2

Ebay for your stock, lock etc depending on what your after.
[url] http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/[/url] Call them and order a .62 cal Green Mtn Smoothbore for the T/C RENEGADE you pick up off of Ebay. It will not fit in a Hawken stock without removing wood in the barrel channel.

Send parts stripped barrel off to Ed Rayl, call him first. I will be giving him a ring tomorrow at 304-364-8269 I think the cost complete and in my hands will be $85 dollars.

For just under the cost of a new one or there abouts you can have a nice "custom rifled" .62 for around 500 bucks or under. Tough to beat that price for a "new" .62 cal rifle especially if you like T/C style.

Billy

Last edited by a moderator:
hey pappa bear, i'll just ask him to mount the sights on the underside of the barrel! :youcrazy:

Billy Lo said:
order a .62 cal Green Mtn Smoothbore for the T/C RENEGADE you pick up off of Ebay. It will not fit in a Hawken stock without removing wood in the barrel channel.

It will fit in the .54 or .58 cal Hawken stock. Just not in the .45/.50 cal stock. The .54/.58 stocks have a 1" channel just like the Renegade. But they're hard to find...

Just got off the phone with Ed, mine needs to have the crown touched up a bit and the breechplug installed and she will be good to go! WAHOO!!!!!

Billy

Billy Lo said:
Just got off the phone with Ed, mine needs to have the crown touched up a bit and the breechplug installed and she will be good to go! WAHOO!!!!!
Billy

Glad to hear it !

Yes, there are two different size Hawken stocks...the regular size for the .45/.50cal x 15/16" barrel, and the larger size Hawken stock with the full 1" wide barrel channel for the .54/.58 cal 1" barrels.

I have three of GM's 1" barrels in the larger size Hawken stocks...a 58cal rifle, a .62cal smoothbore, and this .62cal that I just had rifled.

The .54cal Hawken stocks turn up on auctions often enough to snagg one every now and then.

NOTE: Cutting up a regular size Hawken stock to try and fit a 1" barrel in it is not a workable option for many reasons:

1) A one inch barrel is too large for the existing barrel bed of course and the whole bed would have to be enlarged by shaving down all three flats;

2) Then this will put the wedge pin tenon too low and the ramrod won't slide under it so the tenon will have to be filed thinner so it won't extend down so far;

3) The brass nose cap would have to be reworked wider to accept the 1" barrel;

4) The 15/16" tang would have to be removed, and inletting done to allow a 1" tang to fit down into it's space so it sits behind the breech and mate properly with a 1" breechplug;

5) Then, the wider barrel would physically push a Flintlock assembly out of it's mortise some...or if a caplock, it would have to be shimmed out of it's mortise some to get the hammer to line up with the nipple sitting further outboard on the wider barrel;

6) And after trying to modify all that the resultant stock would be even weaker than it originally was...just the opposite of what is needed, of why a larger beefier stock is used for the larger more powerful .54 & 58 calibers.

Billy Lo said:

Billy
Did you get the drop in barrel from cains? If so then Ed would have to remove and reinstall the breechplug, correct?
Thanks,
Idaho PRB

Back