• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 cal. smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wondering how a foster-style shotgun slug would work. Lyman makes a mould for the 20 ga. which says it does not need rifling. Anyone have experience with these. I'm assuming it is loaded into a shot cup.

Thanks,

GMWW

Looks like a diameter of 0.605" with a weight of 345 grains. Not sure of the thickness of a shot cup, but that might be a tight fit if your 20 ga is the standard 0.615". A solid 0.600" round ball is about 325 grains... so you gain those extra 20 grains plus whatever benefit comes with its elongated shape.
[url] http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=491639[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
you use one gauge smaller when inserting into a shot cup.. dont know what that would be with 20 guage.. some guys can make shot cups work.. ive argued with them over the years. seems like they are in more humid mild climates than what we have here(dry and -30 to 105 degrees).. when we try to reinvent the wheel, the inventer has two ends.. either a remarkable new find with lots of expence and work,, or an expensive pain in the butt.. dave..

Lee makes a mold for a slug that is designed to fit in a shotcup but I've never tried them. I did try some of the Lyman slugs shaped like an air gun pellet and never got accuracy with them from a Centermark fuzee, but never found anything to shoot really well from that one. Experimentation is always fun, even if it doesn't work out as well as you may have hoped. :grin:

Seems like this topic came up here a few months ago, and the concensus was, not worth the time and powder. But, you might prove that wrong.

I think the only advantage you might find is a little downrange accuracy, maybe. Certainly a 320grain rb rb, will outpenetrate the Foster type slug, because of the crappy slug design. IMHO.

Java man

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm just brainstorming at this point. I figured this may have been discussed and was looking for some answers. I didn't want to start my experiment when someone else has already done it. Who knows my rb combo may turn out to be very accurate. I'm always looking at other possibilities.

I was just wondering if a hollow based conical or one of those shot cupped connicals might add a little more range. I recall seeing an add for a shotgun slug that had diagnal grooves on the sides to make it spin for accuracy. Was supposed to work in shotguns without chokes.

The Lee shotgun slugs that I've seen look smooth on the sides, nothing like the Forester style with the spirals but it's still a cup like slug that'll fly truer because of the weight forward on the noes of the projectile. You could always try paper patching them to bring them up to bore dia'. Just rough up the side of the slug by rolling it between two files then paper patch as normal using heavy paper. The paper patch would also cut down on leading because only it will touch the barrel, not the slug. Good luck and keep us posted.

Very novel idea paper patching. I tried that with cast pistol bullets sized down under bore for my rifled barrel. Had some success wrapping them with teflon tape. I'm thinking the teflon in this case would hold the slug secure. The hollow base would expand upon ignition for a tighter seal. :hmm:

I recall seeing an add for a shotgun slug that had diagnal grooves on the sides to make it spin for accuracy. Was supposed to work in shotguns without chokes.

I know Remington makes them... I'm sure others do too.
[url] http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/slugger_rifled.asp[/url]

That's them. Wonder if one can just get the bullet or a mould?

Haven't googled up a mold yet, but check this out:
[url] http://www.nrapublications.org/TAH/Slugs.asp[/url]

Very interesting read. So a rifled slug does increase range. Now to find a mold for 20 ga. Stick it into a cup and load it. I'd think it would work.

AZ-Robert said:
I recall seeing an add for a shotgun slug that had diagnal grooves on the sides to make it spin for accuracy. Was supposed to work in shotguns without chokes.

I know Remington makes them... I'm sure others do too.
[url] http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/slugger_rifled.asp[/url]
One of the local gunsmith's did a test with lipstick smeared on one side of the rifled slug and shot it thru a series of targets, and.................said it didn't spin when fired from a smooth bore shotgun.

One side? Not sure why only one side? To fill the grooves to prevent it from spinning or? I'm a slow learning. :youcrazy:

To leave a trail... if the smear was at 2 o'clock on the first target, 4 o'clock on the target behind it, etc, it would mean the slug was spinning. If in the same position on each target, then it means it is not spinning.

LOL now I get it. Sometimes you just have to draw a picture for some. :rotf:

AZ-Robert said:
To leave a trail... if the smear was at 2 o'clock on the first target, 4 o'clock on the target behind it, etc, it would mean the slug was spinning. If in the same position on each target, then it means it is not spinning.

You got it! :applause:

BS said:
...said it didn't spin when fired from a smooth bore shotgun.

Chuck Hawks, whose advice is usually right on the money, says the same thing on the page where he addresses it here:
[url] http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm[/url]

The air doesn't spin the slug and it looks like the only way to get the rifling on the slug to really work is for it to engage the barrel... hence working better in slightly choked barrels, but the ones Chuck is talking about load from the breech. Going to be tough to get that going in an ML.

Back