• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 cal round ball and patch ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch@Ball

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a friends Pedersoli trade gun. I was wondering what’s a good size 62 cal round ball to use. Also would I still need to lube a patch? Thank you!

.600 or .610....(or even .590 if you're using a stiff paper cartridge tube. )

Some folks swear by a patched round ball in a smoothbore.

I don't for a couple reasons. First, there aren't any known accounts of folks using a patched round ball in a smoothbore. Could it have been done? Sure. Was it done? Maybe. ...,

But I suspect that it wasn't done, and that's why it's not been documented..., and I think the reason it wasn't done was because the patch in a rifle is helped to remain symmetric by the grooves in the barrel, which allow for a uniform folding of the cloth patch. You don't get that uniformity in a smoothbore, and I think that impacts accuracy. ;)

Now you can make a paper cartridge that will act like a shot cup and have a uniform positioning of the ball, or you can do other things to have a more uniform positioning of the ball, rather than to use a patch. I've seen folks dimple a ball with a rasp, and I've also seen folks modify 1/2" wads to have a concave portion in the center, that seems to center the ball and hold it.

The secret to the dimpled ball, I've been told, is not to simply dimple it and think "it's like a golf ball now", but to actually raise tiny bits of lead on the ball surface, so that when you load the ball, these tiny bits of lead have to be swaged a small bit for the ball to fit..., which then means the ball is uniformly placed into the bore, and should fly more consistently.

LD

I have a centermark TFC they recommend a .595, I shoot a .600 now and can’t tell the difference.
Patching a ball was mentioned in 1847. But the writer was published then and the use predated and he spoke of it as if it was common.
For a paper cartridge I use a .570. So that’s similar to the .75 shooting a .690.
A PRB will shoot a little better then a waded ball but not so much that a deer would tell the difference.
That said I hunt with patched. Why?
Being a nervous nelly, I’ve carried a waded ball and not had the wad move while walking but I’m afraid it might. So as I hike to a deer spot I feel better with a patch. Yes it’s silly.
I mostly lube with Mink oil, but I can’t see a difference with lard.
Honestly, from moose milk to Buffalo Bobs secrets lube using only beeswax and other natural oils collected only at the second full moon following the summer solstice I doubt your smoothbore will care what lube you use.

Last edited:
I have two smoothbores, both are 20 ga./.62 cal. In one, the ball size of choice is .600; in the other, ball size is .610. Half the fun of this hobby, I find is the experimentation to see what load is most satisfactory in a particular gun. Have fun, enjoy the ride.

Some folks swear by a patched round ball in a smoothbore.

...which allow for a uniform folding of the cloth patch. You don't get that uniformity in a smoothbore, and I think that impacts accuracy. ;)

It sure impacted accuracy in my case....made it MUCH better!!! :) Good deer hunting groups out to 75 yards and I haven't really spent a lot of time playing with it as I really use it with shot for small game. For my gun (not a Pedersoli) .590 ball and .015 patch lubed with Track's Mink Oil is my best grouping yet.

As always, results will vary between guns and shooters, so experimentation and shooting it is the only way to know for sure.

As a side note, the last thing I'm ever going to do is chew on a lead ball. 🤮

Not a Pedersoli, 62 cal TVM fowler. 70gr 3F, .015” patch/TOTW Mink Oil lube, .60 LRB,
50 yards, 3 shots
E40C97DE-1E43-4218-BB5E-B916BC51742F.jpeg

I've been using a .600 patched round ball for years with no problems, both in a rifled barrel and a smoothbore. I sat down one day and cast up a cartridge box full of balls this size and they have done good for me. I use a slightly thicker patch in the smoothbore, but other than that no problems.

Back