• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE .58cal. Smooth-bore by Jack Duprey.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood screws in the tang were quite common. Especially in the more homemade/ mountain rifle styles of guns. Recoil is absorbed by the breech seating. The tang only holds the barrel in. With all the wood that is removed(lock,triggers,barrel,tang, sideplate) in that area the gun will break in the wrist/lock area no matter what type of tang fastener is used. Wood grain flow is more important than the type of tang fastener.
In modern times many a Jack Garner(the original TVM) rifle went out if his shop with a wood screw in the tang. A tang bolt slowed down production.

6.4lbs. on my digital bathroom scale.

Thank you.

Tommy: I removed the barrel and couldn't find any markings, but it is nicely glass bedded and has a wood screw in the tang. (The wood screw is in keeping with the style of the gun.) So I can't say who made the barrel. A .570 ball will just fit in the muzzle and would be a pretty tight fit with a patch. As soon as the weather lets up I may try some more shooting with it.

I don’t think Ken Marks his barrels. And I’m not sure how close his tolerances are. Just going off what he has always told me.

I do know that they are the best handling smoothbore barrels out there and closer to the originals in terms of barrel thickness than anyone out there on the market.

If I didn't just buy back a Don Bruton rifle, I’d have been all over yours!

I have a .58cal. smooth-bore for sale. It was built by Jack Duprey. It has a 40" textured barrel(unknown maker) with a Chambers VA./ Fowler lock. LOP is 13.75" More pictures can be found on at April 2017 on my blog. www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com $1750 shipped

View attachment 115051
Oh that's strange usually chrome lets you ignore it but it won't this time. I'm on a linux system too so go figure. But like Brice said, if you just copy www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com it will load with no warning at all.

Latest posts

Back