• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58cal. Howdah?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can I use standard 58cal. 500gr. minni balls like I use in a rifled musket?

If you're man enough, I don't see why not. When I first saw the 58 cal Howdah, I had the same question and tried one-handing a conical in one of my light 58 cal rifles. Nah. I'm not man enough to do it in a handgun.

I'm just guessing but I'd say, yes, you can shoot one but expect a massive amount of recoil with the gun and a very low velocity of the bullet.

Why?

The large recoil comes from accelerating 500 grains of bullet + the 40 (or whatever) or so grains of powder weight in a relatively light weight gun.

The low velocity is because it takes a while (read, longer barrel) to accelerate that big blob of lead up to a usable velocity.

Also one should keep in mind what the gun was designed for. Shooting heavy bullets or excessive powder loads in a pistol will often crack the stock

hey DNS,

so far i have had success using conicals that are 380gr and are called "old style" (made from the 575213 mold) that i bought from Log Cabin Online.. they worked just fine.

recently i resupplied through TheGunworks and by mistake they sent me some of those 500gr .58cal conicals.. they are way way overkill and a waste of lead, if you ask me.

the problem is that this howdah is limited in the upside of just how much powder you can safely use..

when i emailed this very same question to d-pedersoli they said: "...We suggest to load 25 grs. of FFFg, .575" round ball and 010" patch...I would suggest to stay close to the round ball and patch, which does not need a larger black powder charge, that may give an unplesant recoil...."(direct quote from 'gloria' pedersoli tech support.)

granted, the 25gr of powder is their lawyer's recommendation and i personally have already tested FFF up to 40gr with very managable recoil.. the danger is not that the barrels might explode, but that the stock itself might not be able to endure the constant shock of high powder loads needed to push that size conical.

i've had success with the lighter conicals and rb, so that's what i'm going to stick with.. if you feel adventurous, go for it ! ! and let us know how it goes.

have fun,

~d~ :hatsoff:

BrownBear said:
If you're man enough, I don't see why not. When I first saw the 58 cal Howdah, I had the same question and tried one-handing a conical in one of my light 58 cal rifles. Nah. I'm not man enough to do it in a handgun.

The key is not to fight the recoil, but rather ride it. Sort of like cracking a whip.

I used this method back when I was shooting early steel challenge matches using a Ruger .44 magnum Red Hawk with a 5 inch barrel. Nobody wanted to go against me, when we were shooting at an indoor range. They could feel the thunder. Range masters would even the score, putting me on the right. I have a few scorched spots on my back from hot shell casing rolling under my shirt.

CP

Back in the day, I used to shoot Minies from the supposed M.1855 pistol in .58. It was a reasonably heavy piece and I don't positively know how the two compare in actual weight. It was "interesting" to shoot with Minies with charges in the 30 to 40 grain range. Slug velocity was probably pretty slow but 500 plus grains of lead lands with authority none the less. Probably a waste of lead but the "WOW" factor is high! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back