• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 smothbore loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCB

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m getting an older north star west gun in .58 . I was wanting to know what load to shoot in it. Ball,patch size powder charge. Also what size wad for shot and what would be a maximum load for shot. I’ve messed with .62’s but this is my first.58 .

For all practical purposes, a 58 caliber can be considered a 24 gauge. Therefore 24 gauge wads and cards will be the starting point for selecting components. Starting loads will be consistent with 23 to a light 20 gauge load.

Since you are getting an older gun, it will be better to look at safe and effective loads for your North Star West gun rather than maximum loads. You can do a lot of hunting with effective loads. You may have to pass on the long range shot. After all this is a 24 gauge not a 20 gauge.

I might start with a square load of 50 gr 2f and 50 grain of shot to see how it handles it. You might in time work it up to 60gr 2f and 70gr shot. You may end up building a pretty long shot column though. Enjoy figuring it out.

Long shot columns are mostly an issue on fast moving targets. On a turkey, not an issue. I agree wholeheartedly with a “square load” - equal volumes of powder and shot. Put a soup can out there to determine killing range. If it penetrates you’re good.

Latest posts

Back