• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

56 cal TC w/rb's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Decided to buy one last summer at a flea mkt.Looked unfired as new.Took it to the range with decent results for a SB.
Used FFg from 55grs-80grs.
Used OP card,.550 bare ball,and single OS card.
Started at 25yds to figure out tightest groups and get close to POA.
Both 55grs and 80grs gave about 2 1/2" at 25yds.
Out at 50yds gave 3 1/2" with 55grs.Didn't try the 80grs at 50yds as I was happy with 55grs.Yes,I changed windage a tad.
What are others using for a RB load?
14301628825_8539096a2e_z.jpg

When I had mine, I loaded it with a .530 RB over 60 grains ffG, a Wonder Wad, and a tight denim patch. It was not easy to load, but it shot like a rifle at 50 yards.

In my 56 Cal T.C. smoothbore, shoot 80 Gr. of 2F powder next comes a O/P card, then a .550 RB wrapped in .015 pillow ticking. Shot as well as my rifles at 50 yds.
Mostly use my smoothbore firing #6 shot. Deadly on tree rats and rabbits at 25 yds.

Load of 85 grs T72fg, .550 round ball, .015 lubed patch with .58 wonder wad. Mine is responding to the clicks perfectly. First shot at 50 meters was 2.75" high and .75" to the right. Correction of 4 clicks left and 5 clicks down landed .75" high and .5" left. Going back 2 clicks to the right and 1 down. Lets see where that lands us. This smoothie responds better than some of my rifles. Wish we could upload image files rather than URLs. Not that computer savy...............

contd. all my smoothbores shoot out to 65 yards as well as a rifle. I use oxyoke lubed patches

Tried .010 red pillow lubed with Bear oil but was that tight it needed to be hammered to start.Don't know of .005 patch material to try yet.
Might try lubed cotton ball under ball as a cushion or get some fiber wads.

Most of the time I shoot a patched ball in my .62s. However I found at 25 yards I get good accracy with just a wadded ball. I make a natural fiber wad, tow,jute, and have tried dog hair, grease it with lard or mink oil and crush into the bore. Force the ball into a 'nest' at the top of th wadding and run it home.
As far as we know today the old timers didn't patch balls in thier smooties. I think a shooter of a 'smooth rifle' would have patched, as thats what all the shooters around him did. But we can't prove that. Since the renagade is a 'smooth rifle' you could go with this argument. But give wadding alone a try you might like it.
If you ask why most of the time I shoot a patch, well it is easier and less messy.

80 grains of swiss 2f with a speer .535 swaged ball and thick patch. acceptable accuracy at 70 yards. tried .550 balls but not enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile.

Just loaded her up for tomorrow and while its an effort to get the .550 with a .015 lubed patch started, I definately do not need a hammer. However, just picked up a Lyman labeled ".560", it is 10-11 grains heavier and measures .556-.558" casted, unlike the .547-.549 casted from the .550 mould. Will try wonder wads only once I get the original load dialed in.

After tomorrows shot I would like to ask someone to walk me through the picture posting process. Would really like to share these targets.......

I know probably everyone who views these targets are thinking why only one shot. I hunt with these guns and do very little target fun shooting. I put meat in the freezer for me and mine and a few close friends. The deer or hog that walks out in front of me at 0630 in the morning will get a snoot full of lead from a cold clean barrel. And thats why I shoot one load at a time until the beast is dialed in. I have been bitten by the black powder bug and haven't fired a high power rifle in years; eventhough I own several. Black powder has taught me patience and with a 14 year old daughter going on 21, I'll take all I can get....

I think I screwed up.....don't remeber correcting L to R windage which explains the veritical drop and no improvement to the horizontal. Hope the next outage will zero this baby in.......

I hunt with my guns also but find a few hours at the range very nice, and a stress reliever. I could never just go to the range shoot a few times an leave :idunno: and once I have it dialed in its just plain fun to shoot 2 inch or less groups at 50 to 75 yards, and if there are center fire guys there its nice to see they're faces when you do.

Should be able to get out this coming weekend and finalize this zeroing. Need to make sure this gun is dialed in. Going home to deer and bear hunt in November.

Back