• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Traditions, Good deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
At a local gun show today I traded a.22 revolver that I paid $85 for a few months ago, (Only worth $120 new, I got it used) for a new Traditions .54 Mountaineer. It is only a back-up gun because my main squeeze is my .54 GPR. I thought this way my friends can go shoot w/ me, and it will be nice for walking w/ in the swamps for deer.

Having a hard time finding out value and info!!!
Traditions .54 Per. Cap Mountaineer

Thanks WI Smoke

Not that this is really answering your question but it sounds like you wanted another ML instead of the .22. I'd say you got what you wanted and therefore probably a good deal.... $120 sounds like a good price for a .54 in decent to good shape.

I only paid $85 for the .22 and the .54 is new.
But I still can't find what they are or were selling for.

WI Smoke

well, since the 'fair market value' is defined by the price to which a willing buyer and a willing seller agree, i'd say you did a good deal.

as a practical matter, if you can score a serviceable rifle for $85 bucks, you've out done my horsetrading by a good bit. it sounds as though you didn't get much use out of the .22, anyway.

good luck with your new rifle!

msw

WI Smoke said:
At a local gun show today I traded a.22 revolver that I paid $85 for a few months ago, (Only worth $120 new, I got it used) for a new Traditions .54 Mountaineer. It is only a back-up gun because my main squeeze is my .54 GPR. I thought this way my friends can go shoot w/ me, and it will be nice for walking w/ in the swamps for deer.

Having a hard time finding out value and info!!!
Traditions .54 Per. Cap Mountaineer

Thanks WI Smoke
If the 54 is new and you picked it up for a gun that cost $85.00 then I would say it's a hell of a deal.
I don't have any experience with that rifle but I would have done that deal.

I saw an inquiry about the Mountaineer from someone who bought one on close out from either a Cabela's or Bass Pro some years ago. It was described as being a single trigger variation somewhat like an older Woodsman or discontinued Pioneer model with a type of buckhorn rear sight, a curved brass triggerguard and a medium twist barrel.
A responder mentioned that his rifle had a disappointly heavy trigger, which hopefully yours doesn't have.
I recall that the .50 caliber Pioneer model with a 28 inch barrel medium twist barrel, pistol grip stock with schnabel fore end and semi-buckhorn rear sight was priced at $189 at K-Mart when it was sold there.
A member of this forum named Roamer said he owns a .50 caliber Mountaineer and maybe you can ask him for more information.

[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...d/95047/post/95429/hl/mountaineer/#95429[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back