• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal. TC Renagade sight problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
renegade 54 cal. sights

Attachments

• sights 4.jpg
    sights 4.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sights 3.jpg
    sights 3.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 0
  • sights 2.jpg
    sights 2.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 0
  • sights 1.jpg
    sights 1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
Okay, that circular space in front of the rear screw is where the spring goes so, ya don't wanta mess with that. But, you could take a needle file or Dremel tool & stretch/elongate that front hole back a bit until ya get enough clearance for the back screw.

Okay, that circular space in front of the rear screw is where the spring goes so, ya don't wanta mess with that. But, you could take a needle file or Dremel tool & stretch/elongate that front hole back a bit until ya get enough clearance for the back screw.
Thought of that may get a gunsmith take a look at. Thanks for the help. Seems TC used multiple sight variations found one today with smaller center to center spacing

Thought of that may get a gunsmith take a look at. Thanks for the help. Seems TC used multiple sight variations found one today with smaller center to center spacing

Yeah, I think sights were one of the things they outsourced. Toward the end when Hawkens still used a longer sight they started using sight made by Williams. They were aluminum & and only used one screw to mount. I think they might still be available from Williams in their 'Fire Sight' line.

If going that route I would work the front hole and stay away from the spring pocket. Though the ‘correct’ way to modify the sight is on a mill, but that could cost more than the sight is worth if you don’t have access to one.

I bought a renegade 38xxx serial number and the rear sight was incomplete/ missing parts. I found a matching sight on line and replaced it. All sight adjustments work but I don't know if they were the correct sights to begin with as they don't look like ones in pics I have seen. My problem the rear sight is adjusted all the way down and I am still high at 100 yds by about a foot. Sights look like I see on a lyman hawken. I shooting a .533 ball with a patch and 90 grains of RS. Any suggestion from Renegade owners
Do you want to shoot beyond 100 yds or less….?

Finally fixed my rear sight problem, made the sight work with the help of a gunsmith, screws were put in using blue loctite but were loose after 10 rounds, will try to retighten. I'm not opposed to red loctite, don't plan on removing them. Any suggestions.

Blue loctite is more readily available, but purple loctite is made for fine thread screws. I use it anytime I'm mounting sight bases, bowsights, etc.

Finally fixed my rear sight problem, made the sight work with the help of a gunsmith, screws were put in using blue loctite but were loose after 10 rounds, will try to retighten. I'm not opposed to red loctite, don't plan on removing them. Any suggestions.
As someone suggested earlier in this thread, would seem that the threads in barrel or the screws are damaged. I have factory TC sights (and other brands) mounted with screws that have not come loose after an untold number of rounds. All installed to a proper torque without a hint of Loctite used. May be time to bump up the screw size and retap the barrel or consider a dovetail type sight.

I'll go out on a pretty stout limb here and say that there is NO place for red Loctite in the gun world. Why? Because, someday, you or someone else just might want to take that screw back out. Use blue, or purple. AND, before you assemble those parts, clean the threads, internally and externally, with an appropriate solvent to remove any Loctite that was applied previously.

I'll go out on a pretty stout limb here and say that there is NO place for red Loctite in the gun world. Why? Because, someday, you or someone else just might want to take that screw back out. Use blue, or purple. AND, before you assemble those parts, clean the threads, internally and externally, with an appropriate solvent to remove any Loctite that was applied previously.
Going to try again with blue loctite.

Back