• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 cal. barrel twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
New here and new to building. Working on hawken from TOW right now (should've started with something simpler), but when I jump, I jump.

Thinking about my next one already. Either a transitional or early lancaster in .54.

I've noticed that every barrel makers twist rate is different. GM is 70, Cole is 56, etc. What's best? I'll be huntin' with whatever style and would like to use heavier powder charges.

Help!

BP said:
New here and new to building. Working on hawken from TOW right now (should've started with something simpler), but when I jump, I jump.

Thinking about my next one already. Either a transitional or early lancaster in .54.

I've noticed that every barrel makers twist rate is different. GM is 70, Cole is 56, etc. What's best? I'll be huntin' with whatever style and would like to use heavier powder charges.

Help!
Are you shooting RB's or conicals?

RB. I'm guessing conicals wouldn't be very accurate from even the faster twist swamped barrels I've been looking at. 1 in 56 is the fastest I've found.

Everything I read says slow twist for RB, fast twist for conicals & sabots.

Square bottom rifling vs radius rifling is another question mark.

Good Evening BP,

As A GENERAL RULE, the slower the rifling twist, the greater the velocity must be to maximize accuracy at distances past 50 yards. This is not a bad situation in a big game hunting rifle.

This is the accepted rule when shooting a patched round ball in a deep (0.010" - 0.012") groove type of rifling.

Only a very fine shooter with an exceptional fine shooting rifle will be able to note any accuracy difference between square or round bottom rifling grooves.

I have barrels with both styles and both shoot match winning scores.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Thanks. The more I read and consider it, 1 in 56 twist might be a good compromise.

Now if I could make up my mind about what I'm building next........

Good Evening BP,

The 1-56" rifling twist is a good choice and will shoot a range of powder charges accurately. Lighter loads (50-70 grains) will shoot accurately for target work, while the top loads (90-100 grains) for hunting will shoot just as accurately.

If you are going to use this rifle only for hunting, then you might want to consider the 1-70" rifling twist and use only the top loads.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Back