• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'51 and '60 swapouts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had the '51 and '60 taken down yesterday, and was looking at the grip frames. Could you not take the grip of the Army, and mount it to the Navy? You might have to adjust the hand spring a touch, but would it not fit on there fine, so you could have the Navy look with the larger Army grip?

I tried, but the screws for my Army are a little bigger than those on the Navy, so it wouldn't go.

I don't know, just got me thinking... :idunno:

I've never heard of it. They are different grips. Most think the navy grip is the best handgun grip of all time. Of course it all depends on how a grip fits the hand.

If they are from the same maker, you might be able to. The original Colts would interchange. The '60 could be special ordered from Colt with the '51 grip. You might have minor fitting to do, but probably very possible.

Yes, the 1851, 1860 and even the 1873 Peacemaker grip will all interchange though as Wick mentioned there probably will be some fitting required. I know the gun writers have long sung the praise of the Navy style grip but I personally find the longer Army grip more to my liking.

Are these the 1 piece grip? I have a cond new 1 piece grip and was going to test it on my original 1860. But will wait till I feel like disasembling all that brass. It does look like a 1 piece in the original right now.

I now have a '73 storekeeper with a '60 grip - traded grips with a guy with a '60 and small hands. Both were/are the one piece grips.

Try keeping the screws with the original gun and just swap gripframes. You may even have a case where one gun has metric threads and the other not, depending on brands and age of the repros.

Back