• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 PRB speed over a chrono

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillKilgore

50 cal.
Reaction score
I had the chrono set up at the range to check some evil black rifle rounds, so I thought, what the heck.

I use Hornady 0.495 pure lead balls with an average weight of 182.5 grains. 0.018 pillow ticking patch and Track's mink oil patch lube. Powder was Schuetzen FFFg. I also swabbed and dried between rounds.

My rifle is an early Lancaster with a 42" Rice swamped Southern Classic barrel and a Chamber's large Siler lock.

63 gr = 1460 fps average

72 gr = 1579 fps average

97 gr = 1858 fps average

Fun times. 😃

Last edited:
I had the chrono set up at the range to check some evil black rifle rounds, so I thought, what the heck.

I use Hornady 0.495 pure lead balls with an average weight of 282.5 grains. 0.018 pillow ticking patch and Track's mink oil patch lube. Powder was Schuetzen FFFg. I also swabbed and dried between rounds.

My rifle is an early Lancaster with a 42" Rice swamped Southern Classic barrel and a Chamber's large Siler lock.

63 gr = 1460 fps average

72 gr = 1579 fps average

97 gr = 1858 fps average

Fun times. 😃
Here's a serious question.
How far do you place your skyscreens from the muzzle on your muzzleloader? Last time I used mine with black powder I got aberrant readings.
Thanks.

PS. Your readings look perfectly fine, I'm wondering where you place your screens to get yours to work properly.
Last time with mine I was getting about 500fps with 80grs fffg.

Last edited:
There are some awful wide spreads in the velocities logged there. I've chrono'd a _lot_ of rounds from MLs and typically got such wide spreads when the screens were a bit too close. When I set the screens at 25' I usually get velocity spreads of ~30fps.

Good info on the screens/distance.
I chrony'd some BP cartridges in my 45-60 and I thought my loading procedure was the culprit for the extreme ES.

Good info on the screens/distance.
I chrony'd some BP cartridges in my 45-60 and I thought my loading procedure was the culprit for the extreme ES.
I have the BPCR Primer by Venturino and Garbe. They say the cartridge must be full of powder, or filler, for low ES.

I'm not gonna break my own rules discussing cartridge arms again... on this thread.

I have the BPCR Primer by Venturino and Garbe. They say the cartridge must be full of powder, or filler, for low ES.

I'm not gonna break my own rules discussing cartridge arms again... on this thread.

Thanks.
It was (filled and slightly compressed).
That's why I'm thinking I had the chronograph too close after reading this thread. Plus I seem to remember getting powder/soot on the face of the chronograph and even moving it away some, but not 25'.

Just something to try next outing.
I was very meticulous on the cartridges and didn't know why the ES was... well, extreme ;)

On a more serious note, in chrono'd my .50 Pedersoli Scout (28 inch barrel) last fall with the same schuetzen 3f powder, and I had to use 100 grains just to get into the 1300's for FPS. It looks like the extra barrel length really makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a more serious note, in chrono'd my .50 Pedersoli Scout (28 inch barrel) last fall with the same schuetzen 3f powder, and I had to use 100 grains just to get into the 1300's for FPS. It looks like the extra barrel length really makes a difference.

I don't know what I'm missing but 100 grains of 3f to reach 1300 fps with a 28" barrel seems way off to me.

I've shot my .50 caliber Traditions Deerhunter flintlock over the chrono a total of 13 shots using only 50 grains of Schuetzen 3f and averaged just a little over 1300 fps. And that rifle only has a 24" barrel.

There are some awful wide spreads in the velocities logged there. I've chrono'd a _lot_ of rounds from MLs and typically got such wide spreads when the screens were a bit too close. When I set the screens at 25' I usually get velocity spreads of ~30fps.
I think the ab berate readings are coming from patch expulsion irregularity. I know this has been an issue at times in other chronograph use with muzzle loading rifles.

Latest posts

Back