• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 caliber GPR percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am a dyed in the wool flintlock man. But I wanted to start building my own guns so I put together a 50 caliber GPR percussion to start. It came out well.

8hbl.jpg

8vph.jpg

So I am breaking in the barrel by shooting a couple of hundred rounds through it before I start working out a load. Well, I’ve shot about 150 rounds so far and I have to admit I am really liking this percussion thing.

I shaped the stock to fit me and I cut the sights just the way I like them. I polished and tuned the lock and triggers and I am digging this thing a lot. I haven’t shot my flintlocks for 2 weeks now. Do I need some kind of twelve step program?

This is 35 shots from twenty five yard offhand in a 10 to 12 mph full value wind.

4cwu.jpg

I did not imagine I would be so caught up with this rifle.

The Lyman bug has come out bit another one.
You will be happy with it for a long time. Great guns to shoot and hunt with.
If you still have that sinister urge to shoot a flintlock..remember they do make the GPR in flintlock style.
:thumbsup:

Yep, they sure do make it in flint. That's how I ended up with three of them, all flinters.

Damn fine looking rifle! :thumbsup:

There's no cure, lots of support groups though.

No, I'm not going to post photos of Lucifer again.

I have a GPR, a .54 cal flinter, that I love to shoot. My first rifle was a .50 cal percuission kit, that I built my self. The kit came from Wally World, and appears to be Italian. It has a 1 in 48 twist and is very accurate, using 70 grains of FFF. The stock was inletted for the barrel, and partially inletted for the action. The rest looked like a 2 X 4. The brass fittings were sand castings. I carved the stock to my liking, and filed down the sand castings, first, with a mill bastard file, then deminishing grades of sandpaper, to fit the stock. The stock was finished with 30 coats of hand rubbed linseed oil. I blued the metal parts, but would have browned them, if I had to do it over again. I replaced the action with a faster lock, and double set triggers, and had a BP gunsmith make me a set of full buckhorn sights. Robin

Nice job on your rifle.

And nice shooting, too!

I was pretty surprised, too, at just how well the GPR will shoot. Didn't expect that at all...

Like you, I'm hooked!

Some people keep their pictures large in an attempt to make it look as clear as possible.

What they don't realize is they can reduce the "resolution" of the picture down to 70 dpi and no one looking at it on a computer screen can tell the difference.

Reducing the resolution is pretty easy with most photo editing software and it can turn a 1.5 meg picture into a 80 kb picture that will upload and download in a flash.

This greatly helps anyone who is using "dial up" to connect to the web.

Oh!
Nice looking GPR. :grin:

Latest posts

Back