• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal wanted!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the advice! I do wanna mention we are not to mention those "pretty good bullets" here. Lol Also what's a good ramrod I do want to upgrade that.
Those bullets are not the dreaded sabot type. They are a pure lead conical, like the Thompson Center maxi hunters or similar. The ramrod that you mostly likely have is pretty much unbreakable but if you wanted to get something else down the road, check Track of the Wolf muzzleloaders. They have a good selection of replacement ramrods.

Every time this discussion comes up advice will be given to spend a lot of money for a quality firearm and there's certainly nothing wrong with that if the budget is there. It kind of bugs me that there is a certain mindset that if someone new to flintlocks starts out with a cheap gun they will have nothing but frustration and disappointment. There's going to be a learning curve regardless of what firearm you start with. Maybe that's less with a higher quality gun. I can't say having never owned anything but cheap flintlocks. They've all worked to my satisfaction.

A lot of guys might be like me and not willing or able to spend a lot at first especially when you don't know how well you'll like a flintlock. A year and a half ago I bought the first muzzleloader I ever owned. It was a $300 Traditions Deerhunter. I have not regretted that choice as it allowed me to get my feet wet without a big investment.

It just so happened that I found that I did like shooting these guns and now own 4 other flintlocks, make my own powder and cast my own lead balls. For the record none of my black powder guns are expensive high end models but I still enjoy them and shoot them a lot.
Exactly. Still shooting a T/C Hawkin after many years. Does what everything else does. Put holes in targets. Just clean up after.

Well everyone I did it! I purchased a Traditions Deer hunter flintlock. Brand new never shot right out the box. Any ball and powder combos would be appreciated!

I hope you enjoy your Deerhunter as much as I do mine. In the year and a half I've had it I've fired 1300+ rounds with no real problems.

I shoot .490 lead balls with a .015 patch and 50 grains of 3f which gives me a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps average. I'm not a hunter so I don't know if you would want a bigger charge for more velocity or not.

I shoot .490 lead balls with a .015 patch and 50 grains of 3f which gives me a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps average. I'm not a hunter so I don't know if you would want a bigger charge for more velocity or not.

I've never had a deerhunter but every 50 caliber I ever owned shot that load great. 2F also works fine.

I do wanna say I'm 26 years old and work for 12 dollars a hour stacking lumber like the good Ole boys. Been doing it since I was knee high
Well everyone I did it! I purchased a Traditions Deer hunter flintlock. Brand new never shot right out the box. Any ball and powder combos would be appreciated!
Welcome to the addiction

Every time this discussion comes up advice will be given to spend a lot of money for a quality firearm and there's certainly nothing wrong with that if the budget is there. It kind of bugs me that there is a certain mindset that if someone new to flintlocks starts out with a cheap gun they will have nothing but frustration and disappointment. There's going to be a learning curve regardless of what firearm you start with. Maybe that's less with a higher quality gun. I can't say having never owned anything but cheap flintlocks. They've all worked to my satisfaction.

A lot of guys might be like me and not willing or able to spend a lot at first especially when you don't know how well you'll like a flintlock. A year and a half ago I bought the first muzzleloader I ever owned. It was a $300 Traditions Deerhunter. I have not regretted that choice as it allowed me to get my feet wet without a big investment.

It just so happened that I found that I did like shooting these guns and now own 4 other flintlocks, make my own powder and cast my own lead balls. For the record none of my black powder guns are expensive high end models but I still enjoy them and shoot them a lot.
same here do I wish I had the means to have a "custom built " but what I have, and can afford ,keeps meat in the freezer. the idea inexpensive is frustrating doesn't work for me it's how you learn to fix what's wrong, I just bought a t/c renegade 50 cal. for 199.00 barrel isn't pitted
shoots well, owner couldn't figure out why it would hang on half when you pull the trigger. it
took me 20 min to fix, I always say if you can't pay you have to be handy that's how everyone learns. Bruce

When I started many years ago my friends rendezvoused. I didn’t want to do that but loved the idea of hunting with one. Came across a pedersoli frontier 50 percussion. Back then I think I spent $350. Now I have changed it to flintlock but haven’t shot it. I have more custom guns now but that was a great shooting gun and took deer with it. Have the same one in 36 cal. Both alway shot great and never had problems with them. I think if you are just hunting or shooting a little like I did you can’t go wrong. Just get what you can to get out there and enjoy it.

I ran afoul of that group on here. Asked a question about a lock on a Pedersoli rifle I acquired and easily a third of the comments were somehow berating the rifle or me for buying it. Until my most recent kit I built every BP rifle I've owned and kept has been a TC or Pedersoli and there hasn't been a single issue with any of them to date. Considering I picked all but a couple of them up used the no trouble with any of them is saying something.

Looking for my first flintlock! Any advice would be appreciated thank you!

Hey, welcome from Lawrence county. I'm a new shooter myself ( will be going on my second year of flintlocks this year)

I'd recommend heading to small local shops. Being that we are in Pa many small family owned shops will have one or two. I'd recommend heading to a few local shops, making a few calls, and checking a few out and reporting back with what you find.

I see 50 cals all the time in shops. You just have to wait to find the right one. I'll hopefully be upgrading my hunting gun in a year or 2 ( I'd like to get myself a Fowler and a .45 Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle) and then maybe someday a custom gun.

Latest posts

Back