• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal. Flintlock made by investerarms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5347

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I like to ask a friend has a 50 cal. Hawken rifle he no longer shoots.
Price he asking is 250.00
Any pro or cons on investerarms firearms

The Investarms Hawken is a pretty good little gun in my opinion. Sort of a copy of a TC Hawken, made by the same manufacturer that makes the Lyman guns. Condition is everything though, if in good shape, especially the bore, I wouldn't think $250 too out of line. Could offer less though.

Check the rear sight on it some of them have quite a bit of wiggle in the adjustment.

Investarms makes Lyman guns.

I have a .54 Investarms flintlock (Cabelas') purchased in 2001 and am very happy with it. Put a Lyman peep on it to aid my aging eyes.

I own several Investarms guns and have been very happy with all of them. And I have a Lyman Trade Rifle listed here for sale that is a flintlock. Its new in the box. I just like my percussion guns better. But if the bore is good thats a very fair price. They are known for having good sparking frizzens. Some replace their TC frizzens with Investarms frizzens because they spark better. Or so I have read.

Well just check out the gun I will say not a box of balls went down the bore.
The overall condition is a good 9.
Came home with me .

The .50 cal. Investarms Hawken "carbine " from Cabelas' show on my avitar is a fun little gun. too bad it is not a flinter.:)

I wonder how to find the barrel twist
The gun was made in 1981 I did throw a doz round ball down range.
80 grains of 3 f
.014 patch
4f Pam primer
Distance 50 yards with stock sights

Mine is 1 in 48" twist. The best load in mine is a .490 ball, .018 patch and 60 grains of 3f. Very good groups with this load.

I wonder how to find the barrel twist
The gun was made in 1981 I did throw a doz round ball down range.
80 grains of 3 f
.014 patch
4f Pam primer
Distance 50 yards with stock sights
To find the rifling twist in your gun you will need a cleaning rod or ramrod with a cleaning jag on it, some masking tape and a sharp pen or pencil, a tape measure or yard stick and a bit of oil.

Lightly oil the patch, place it on the cleaning jag and shove it down the bore until it stops at the breech.
Wrap the masking tape around the rod so one edge is touching the muzzle.
Now, use the pen or pencil to make a mark on the masking tape that is in line with the front sight.

Now, slowly pull the ramrod/cleaning rod back out of the bore being careful to allow it to turn as the patched jag rotates with the rifling.

Watch the mark on the masking tape as it rotates with the rod. When it has rotated 180° (half of a full rotation), STOP.

Using the tape measure or yard stick, measure the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to the lower edge of the masking tape.

The distance you measure will be 1/2 of the twist your barrels rifling has. In other words, if 1/2 rotation of the rod needed to be pulled out of the barrel 24 inches your guns twist is 2 times the 24 inch measurement you read. That would be 48 inches so the twist is 1:48.

Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, the patched jag will "jump" one rifling groove, messing up your measured value so, repeat the all the way to the breech, verify the masking tape location and the alignment of the mark with the front sight and carefully pull the ramrod out of the barrel, stopping at 1/2 of a full rotation and measure the distance from the muzzle to the tape again. If the reading is different, repeat the operation again.

With two or three measurements done you should be able to choose the most accurate pair of measurements as your final answer. Don't forget to multiply the distance by 2 to get the full twist value.

Back