• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Cal 385 Great Plains, 70Gr. RS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78CJ

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Will this be enough out to say 100 yards max?

I have yet to get my CVA Bobcat to really work well with a PRB and out of frustration a few years ago I gave the Hornady GP Bullets a whirl. At the time I used the listed load that came with the bullets of 90Gr of RS. This load shot great and it made it hard to dedicate time to the PRB load work. This year I was running low on the original boxes of these so with a recent Midway order I picked up a new box. I notice that they are repackaged but they look the same.

The only problem is that I could not keep them on a paper plate at 50yards. I finally got frustrated and backed the charge down to 70Gr RS and I can keep them in 2" at 50 yards. Season starts on Friday and I don't have any more time to work on anything else. My most likely shot will be inside of 40 yards but I do have a lane that stretches to 100.

So does anyone have any idea of my ballistics with this load zeroed at 50? If I enter the BC and estimate the velocity at 1200fps (based on the published 1400 for 90Gr Rs) it shows that I will be 7" low at 100 with 836fpe.

What do you all think.

Thanks

Ryan

No sweat on the power, if you've got the accuracy as it appears.

As for ballistics, check the tables in the back of the Lyman BP manual.

Remember, shot placement is the most important factor. It sounds like you have that down. That slug will do the job if you deliver it properly. Go get that meat :thumbsup: .

It depends more on the twist of the barrel. Do you have the GPR or the GP hunter with the tighter twist. Often the tighter twist will shoot round balls well up to 50 yds and then begin spraying them around a little at longer distances. :wink:

That load should take a deer with ease at even 100 yards as long as you do your part "shot placement." :thumbsup:

I am supprised though that your Bobcat doesn't shoot PRB that well, mine will easily shoot a .495/.015 PRB with 80gr. FFFG Goex with in a 2" group at 50 yards off hand & with a little Kentucky elevation "actually a mark on my front sight" will keep em in the 4.5" range at 100 yards off hand.

I think I need to work more with my patches with the round balls. I say every year that I am going to but I just never get around to it. I really like the Bobcat and I want more than ever to start using PRB's instead of the Hornady's.

Thanks

Ryan

Why not go about 2" high at 50 and be just a bit low at 100??? :hmm:

That's what I did with a gun shooting a similar 385gr buffalo bullet over 80gr FFg. It's pretty much aim right on at deer sized targets to 100 yds.

Mad Professor said:
Why not go about 2" high at 50 and be just a bit low at 100??? :hmm:

That's what I did with a gun shooting a similar 385gr buffalo bullet over 80gr FFg. It's pretty much aim right on at deer sized targets to 100 yds.

That's what I will do in the future, but between now and Friday there just is not time.

Ryan

Work on changeing your patches for PRB. My son was having trouble with 2"to 3" groups at 25yards. We went to the thicker pillow ticking patches with Stumps Moose juice and the groups went to ragged one hole groups. Was hard to believe a patch @ lube change would do it that quick but it did.
Good Luck this weekend just hold in upper 1/3 for 100 yds. and your load should work.
Fox :thumbsup:

If your rifle shot well before with the load it still should now. Try a brass bruch on the bore you may have a bunch of lead in the bore. This happens often with conical bullets. Scrub the bore real good, and use a felt wad under the bullet. The felt wad normally tightens groups with conicals. The Hornady great plains 385 gr 50 cal HP bullet is a very good deer bullet. I have taken plenty of deer with it. The use of a hot shot nipple and CCI #11 mag caps is a good idea when using RS or tripple seven powders.

Back