• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry2357

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just need a pound, is there anywhere to buy 4f,,,, or any black powder? I want to shoot my flintlock for the 1st time and I have a pound of 3f and a pound of 2f, I need 4f. I’ll by 5lbs mix if I have too. Help.

Why do you "need" 4f?
Not to beat a dead horse, but, you can prime with 3f or 2f. Many of the folks here, especially the hunters, do so.

There are only probably a couple hundred posts on here to that effect, with the subject coming up in a cycle with the 3 or 4 other subjects that get rehashed, over and over.......

Why do you "need" 4f?
Not to beat a dead horse, but, you can prime with 3f or 2f. Many of the folks here, especially the hunters, do so.

There are only probably a couple hundred posts on here to that effect, with the subject coming up in a cycle with the 3 or 4 other subjects that get rehashed, over and over.......
Sorry for asking the same question, thought folks on here would understand, guess not, anyway thanks for responding.

I haven't seen much for any powder available lately. Keep an eye on powder valley and graf's websites. For what it's worth I have used 3f and 2f in all 9 of my flintlock pans and it works fine. But that's just me.

I just need a pound, is there anywhere to buy 4f,,,, or any black powder? I want to shoot my flintlock for the 1st time and I have a pound of 3f and a pound of 2f, I need 4f. I’ll by 5lbs mix if I have too. Help.
Antiques Travelers & Traders in TX has plenty of Schuetzen.
Call them & they will ship the same day.
(806) 470-4130

I haven't seen much for any powder available lately. Keep an eye on powder valley and graf's websites. For what it's worth I have used 3f and 2f in all 9 of my flintlock pans and it works fine. But that's just me.
Thanks, I’ll give the 3f a shot.

Sorry for asking the same question, thought folks on here would understand, guess not, anyway thanks for responding.

If you lived close by, I would give ya a pound. Most of these peeps shoot guns with locks that are first rate or have locks that have been tuned. Before I owned a "real" flintlock, I also thought that one has to have 4f in the pan for things to work properly because that was the only way I could get my production flint gun to go off!!! And God forbid!, I used cut agate flints!!! That combination however worked just fine for 30+ years. Now, I have 1 custom and one semi custom flint gun and they both sport fine english flints and I prime with just a touch of 3f. Mean while I have a bunch of 4f left over. Do a search for priming there are some pics on how much to use etc. Good Luck!

RM

We do understand.
But, there is also a search feature, and I've found a lot of good info, I would not have otherwise, by using it.

I would encourage you to use your 3f. Or, really, whatever you have more of.
I've found I prefer it. I don't have to carry around, or worry about running out of, more than one powder and 2f and 3f are not hydroscopic (but the burnt powder residue is so clean your pan) like 4f is.

The only real reason I can see to use 4f in the pan right now is to conserve main charge powder. But, that is only if one already has it.
With limited powder availability and rising prices, if I'm buying a pound of powder, I'm spending money on something I can use for both.

Muzzleloading clubs will sometimes put together an order of 25 or 50 pounds. As I recall, the proper and legal way was for the club to canvass its bona fide members, determine that Tom was interested in 5 lb of 3F, Dick needed 1 lb 4F & 6 of 2F, etc, collect the money, order in 25 or 50 pound lots , then distribute. The alternative, if you have your heart set on priming with Null B or 4F, is to pay the premium on a 5 lb order.

With the proper size brass screen enough small granules can usually be screened out of a pound of 2-3F to fire the pound. 4F trickles it's way out of a cheap flintlock much easier than 3F in a hunting situation. We could all get along if 4F disappeared tomorrow. Part experience, part personal opinion.

To actually answer your question, instead of giving you a guilt trip for asking it, call

Antiques Travelers & Traders in TX has plenty of Schuetzen.
Call them & they will ship the same day.
(806) 470-4130

I just bought some from them.

Latest posts

Back