• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 R E A L bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew .357

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have just got a Lee combo 200gr r e a l bullet and RB mould for my Hawken rifle, so using 3f what would be a good hunting load. I have made a new barrel for it, still a 1-33 twist and bore is .457". First chance I get will be into some casting and do you candle smoke the mould?, I always do, but not sure if it`s required, but it works. I have found some pillow ticking for patching so will try this with the prb when at the range to set the sights. Homebrew.357.

some molds drop bullets better than others. Sometimes it really seems to be temperature sensitive.

I use a commercially made spray that is for bullet release from the mold. I like it and use it.

For help with the bullet to drop out of the blocks, when the mold is closed, I use a wooden dowel and slightly push on the corner of the mold as I open it. If you do this I think you will find that the bullet will drop out almost every time.

Fleener

I used to smoke the mould but after awhile, I kept forgetting and it seemed to work just as good. After the mould is broken in, it smooth's out a little and usually drops better. The REALs usually shoot better with an over powder wad. You'll have to shoot it to see which load works the best and has the power you need.

Those Lee molds are a little finicky where those "guide pins" fit into the slots on the face of the mold blocks,, they like to have a little lubrication on'm.
I use typical automotive grade anti-seize lube that's used for spark plugs an such, I use Permatex it's rated to 1400°F so there's no problem with the heat,, just a little bit smeared on those pins with a toothpick is plenty. I've been using the same tube for 20yrs.
If the blocks don't close tight, you'll get a little lead leaking between the block faces and it'll cause you problems with casting lines and off sizes.

As this topic is in the Percussion Forum area, lets keep our answers aimed at shooting the gun with a PRB or the 200 grain REAL bullet.

Stuff about casting and bullet molds goes in the Shooting Accessories area.

Would the shorter 200 grn REAL shoot well in such a fast twist? Seems many claim the longer REAL in a .50/.54 cal GPH doesn't work so well in their 1:32" twist.

The longer .50 cal 320 grn REAL does well in my 1:48" twist ONLY if I use a felt wad. Without one it keyholed at 50 yds.

Keyholeing in a muzzleloader can be due to either too slow of a twist, the powder charge being too small or using a lead alloy instead of pure lead to make the bullet.

Although a REAL bullet is supposed to make rifling grooves on the outside when it is started into the barrel, a lot of the engagement with the rifling depends on the bullet "bumping up" in size when it is fired.
If the bullet alloy is too hard, it won't "bump up".

I might add, the short bullets like a 200 grain size can work fine in fairly slow rifling twists.

It's only the longer, heavier bullets that really need the fast twists.

I bought these cast and am fairly confident they were made with pure lead. They weren't a beast to seat either. But maybe they were just near enough to pure. Who knows.

That first shot that keyholed was with no wad. It hit about a foot left and 6" low from the bull. This was with 70 grns of powder (3F T7). The next two shots were with wads and the same charge and were just under the bull and neary touching. I bought the mold after that...

Lyman claims the bore is ~.502 x .520 and those measured something like .517" iirc. They certainly were engraved.

So are these shorter REALs likely ok in a fast twist like that?

I bought a used mold for the .50 cal 250 grn REAL but that's because I intend on buying a Lyman Plains Pistol. I do intend on casting some and trying it in my 1:48" rifle though.

Thanks for the replies, When I get around to casting the R E A L `s I will work up loads starting at 50grs 3f and slowly up till I hit the sweet spot. Had a range day with it using prb and 50/55grs 3f at 50 yards, about 2/3 " high and 3" group with 10 shots, so not to bad for a home made barrel, minute of deer. Will keep shooting to polish the bore.

Back