• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 flintlock for squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 45 caliber Flintlock rifle Spanish made, it shoots extremely well and Sparks very good. I was wondering if the 45 caliber would be a feasible caliber rifle for squirrel hunting?

Attachments

• 20220201_063144.jpg
    20220201_063144.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220201_063219.jpg
    20220201_063219.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 73
I hunted squirrels with a .50 Renegade at one time, I had it loaded down so far it went "bloop" instead of "bang" but a squirrels head at 25 yards didn't stand a chance. At that load it wouldn't bow a squirrels head up, the ball just cut a crescent shaped divot out of where ever it struck.

My .45 riflegun is my favorite rifle to carry on my walks. For small game I generally use 25-30grs. FFG out to 30 yards. Low noise so even if the grandkids are with me they aren't effected and a can of powder goes a lot farther. Many types of small game have fell to my .45. We had problems years ago with packs of dogs running the country that no-one claimed. After running into them a couple times I decided I preferred the .45 to my .32 for roaming the woods.

Go for it! 25 grains and a PRB in a .54 Investarms Hawken was my squirrel rifle for decades. Hitting a squirrel in the melon made hitting deer and such seem a lot easier.

I use 30 grain 3f loads in my 45 cal flinter for squirrels.If you want a lighter load .395 ball a denim patch.

I kill all my squirrels with a .44 long barreled pistol using 12.5 grains of 3f.
20210918_200226.jpg

So I say a .45 is an excellent caliber for squirrel hunting, and captures the esscence of the tradition and revives a certain historical sporting nature behind pursuing them which has been enjoyed by many over the last 250 years-moreso than a .36, or a .32 ever will be able to get us in touch with:
Casual squirrel hunters may take body shots, shoot at skylined silouhettes, and sit and wait motionless for squirrels to pass by... however, at a personal level, more serious squirrel hunters see this as unsatisfactory since they take more pride in walking slow and quiet and being observant; spotting the sitters that think they are hid as they watch the hunter seem to pass by unaware of them while unbeknownst to the squirrel, he is mearly circling to line up his shot. He takes frequent detours in his slow walks to stalk the cutters, barkers, and limb bouncers; using his feet to get into range and circle the noisemaker's location unseen to bring the squirrel's head into line with the tree trunk into which he will sink his ball after striking his target. He is the patient and thoughtful enough (and disciplined enough) to set himself up for close head shots, with no errant balls flying through the air. At one point in history, after completing such a shot, he may have even retrieved the lead with his knife...

The picture on this target captures the essence of a squirrel hunters mindset exactly:

Screenshot_20220203-023244_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Notice that the scoring for barking is nearly equal to that for striking the head, with negative points for meat hits.

Use shotgun. Shooting projectiles up is not a safe practice.
You do have to circle the tree several times until you can use the trunk as a back stop, you may loose your game but it's just part of the hunt, better safe than sorry. Best to sit and take game on the ground or even uses a elevated stand when hunting with a rifle.

I grew up in Texas, learned to shoot at 6 years old. Hunted my whole life, probably killed enough squirrel in my 61 years to feed a whole camp. Lol
Never have killed one with a 45 flintlock, thinking about experimenting with a #7.5 shot load for my 45 flinter. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I grew up in Texas, learned to shoot at 6 years old. Hunted my whole life, probably killed enough squirrel in my 61 years to feed a whole camp. Lol
Never have killed one with a 45 flintlock, thinking about experimenting with a #7 shot load for my 45 flinter. Any thoughts on this?
Think giant donut, big hole in the pattern, out of curiosity I believe everyone has tried it, myself included, some sort of paper shot cup may help.

I do have a t/c hawken kit I just built that has never been shot. I am thinking about putting it on here to see if I can get a trade for a nice 32 squirrel rifle

I have a 45 caliber Flintlock rifle Spanish made, it shoots extremely well and Sparks very good. I was wondering if the 45 caliber would be a feasible caliber rifle for squirrel hunting?
For years all I had was a .50 calibre, and it took many many squirrels and rabbits. Check your local game laws and if allowed...awesome.

Any hit in the neck OR the head is almost mandatory, with large calibers, and give equal results in my experience. I much prefer small bores for small game and that's what I usually use.

Back