• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 caliber round ball for Deer???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.45 round ball from a long barrel gives a flat trajectory and a lot of energy on the target. I've taken deer with a flintlock with about 55-65 grns. of fffg. 50 grns. would likely be enough. It flattens well.

Even though this is an ancient thread, the info is worthwhile. I have posted this photo before but it is a small buck that I shot in the leg with my .50 cal. Hawken. He hobbled towards me and stopped 40 yards away. I pulled my Ruger Old Army with .457 round balls and shot him through the lungs. He dropped ~ 50 yards later.

3ptFE10-12aWEB.jpg

Yes, .45 cal. round balls are enough for deer even out of a revolver.

I use a PRB with 50 gr. 3F as my woods walk target load, been carrying my Seneca 45 loaded with 60 gr. 3F and a powerbelt bullet for deer. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot a deer yet.

Yup this thread is some what old, but i has many good posts & info that are still worth using. I had an H&R Huntsman in a .45, it also had a BP. The woods i hunted in as a younger man were thick til all the leaves fell. Then you could get out to 60 yards with luck. I used a load of 55 gr. prb was great group size at 50 yards. I killed many of those tick toters walking around sucking up acorns in the woods with it.

Hoping to give the .45 prb a try this fall in Central TX and maybe Arkansas if it all works out. I look forward to the journey.

.45 caliber is the minimum for deer hunting in Michigan, but it works very well. It also allows you to use the rifle for other creatures, based on how you load. 25 grains of 3f makes it a great porcupine or fox rifle, and 15 grains is good for rabbits and other small game. Being a one muzzle loader man allows you to get to know the rifle, and soon missing doesn't even enter your mind

I live in New Hampshire and usually hunt with my 54 cal round Ball J Browning Mountain Rifle but this rifle is heavy to haul around the woods but does a great job putting deer down. But at 72 and some bone problems I want to use my much lighter 45 cal round ball rifle for the hunt this year. I know the 45 ball is lighter then the 54 but I believe a 45 with 60 grains of FFF will do the job. I'm still a good shot and I know shot placement is important. Most shots are less then 75 yards. Does anyone hunt with a 45 round ball and 60 grain FFF load and what are the results? Thanks, Steve
All my deer have fallen to my .45 with 60 grains. 25 yards is as far as they got before falling over and most of them weren’t sure if they had been shot. And walked slowly away a few steps before death

I have used .45's they be good tick toter killing medicine. I am building a .40 cal. Under-Hammer now i should have it ready for this Fall's hunting season. I figure depending what i am after the loads will be from 30-65 gr of 3 F.

Back