• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 CAL T/C Hawken. Need a replacement Barrel or Barrel work.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historian

20 ga. Flintlock SXS
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know who makes replacement barrels for these T/C's Hawken's? Possibly need one in .45 cal. The entire barrel looks fantastic except for a small portion area above the breech about 1 1/2 inches long that looks discolored/rusty and corroded. I have a bore scope to view this area. Patches are not being torn but looks like a crud ring that was not cleaned really well.
I have also heard of a guy Bobby Hoyt who does barrel work really good? Any leads for a replacement barrel or Bobby's contact information would be grateful.

Thanks.

Mr. Bobby Hoyt
2379 Mount Hope Rd.
Fairfield, PA
17320-9756
(717) 642-6696

I spoke to Mr. Hoyt a couple days ago about a rusty 54 barrel. He said he would rebore it to 58 of he could or redo the rifling in 54 if he could not. His work comes highly recommended to me. Redoing the rifling he quoted me at $60.

Any chance you are looking at the "patent breech" ? It could look like the end of the barrel with a cruddy small hole in it. You need a .22 or .25 caliber brush to get down into the patent breech and make sure the brush you use has bristle wire looped through the threaded brass end. Do not use a brush that has the bristle wire "pressed" into the brass threaded end. Those can and will pull apart and create more headaches than you can imagine. If the breech is truly damaged, Mr. Hoyt can offer suggestions. TWO offers replacement drop in barrels but I think only in .50 caliber 15/16th width. Check their website. I think Mr. Robert Hoyt is at:
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, PA
Phone 717-642-6696. I hope this info is correct!
Snooterpup

Track of the Wolf has replacement barrels available occasionally.

Have you tried shooting the rifle? It may shoot just fine.

Put some steel wool on your jag, probably the next caliber smaller, and work over that bad spot in the barrel.

If all else fails, there's always Bobby Hoyt.

Hoyt can easily make a 50 or a 54 out of it. If you want another 45 you can either build it yourself (parts about $260) or have it done for you for $???.

I understand the like for the 45. I have one and it's a pleasure to shoot.

Mr. Hoyt can probably line your barrel in 45 too. I have no idea of the cost, but it probably wouldn't be more than the $260 long cruise mentioned for a new barrel. Give him a call and ask.

Before spending money on a new barrel, I would shoot it using different patch thicknesses and powder loads. If you determine it just won't shoot, then spend the coin on a barrel.

I recently bought a Teslong borescope and inspected the barrel on my TC Hawken .45 caliber rifle. The patent chamber and the barrel just ahead of it doesn't look perfect, but it's a good shooter.

Here are a couple of other examples. The first 2" of barrel ahead of the chamber on my 1888 Trapdoor looks pretty rough, but the rifle will shoot one ragged hole at 50 meters with good handloads and I've won a few matches with it. The bore on my M24/47 Mauser looks rough as a cob from chamber to muzzle and I shot 197/200-6X with it two days ago in a match.

A borescope is a useful tool, but I am of the opinion that it leads me to believe a serviceable barrel is worse than it actually is.

Back