• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Cal. Conical or Maxi Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I’m looking for a good conical or Maxi ball type bullet for my T/C Hawken.45 kit. Patched LRB are accurate but I just want to use them for target/ steel. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can adapt many of the bullets designed for 45 ACP and 45 colt to your rifle. I've invested in a lee push through sizer in 451. Not talking about commercial lead bullet offerings. Never tried them. They are cast harder than pure lead.

There doesn't seem to be many ml specific projectiles offered in 45 that will work in the 1:48.

For hunting with my .45 T/C Seneca & Cherokee rifles, I've long (40 years or so) used the heavier T/C Maxi-Hunter conicals after having T/C Maxi-Balls fail to drop a deer (they simply penciled through, allow the deer to run away).

I've found a PRB better for paper-punching (cost-wise)...

YMMV, of course......

I just did these up. Lee 45 REAL boolit size/lubed to .452.
RCBS lube stick. These will sit on top of ox yoke .50 lubed felt wad Pyrodex RS from my post ‘22 Xmas gift- TC Hawken.45.
I’ll get out to range when it’s not so spring time sloppy out.

Best shooting all,

Attachments

• BE575ECA-BAE0-4FE7-9D6C-8D95EB215C67.jpeg
    BE575ECA-BAE0-4FE7-9D6C-8D95EB215C67.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I understand. Use a felt wad underneath since the bullets are harder?

I'm not sure if you were addressing me with that 🤔

If so, I wasn’t suggesting any use of commercial castings. Only that the same designs could be useful when cast in pure lead.

I've never used wadding under a conical so I have no idea if there is merit.

Latest posts

Back