• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakebite

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking thru some of the subjects on the forum and see where .32 and .36 are good for shooting small game, rabits and squirrels and deer or larger game (what about turkeys?) should only be shot with .45 or larger. So other than punching holes in paper, what is a .40 good for? It seems from what I'ver read, nothing.
Now I've got my own opinions and am currently having a .40 flinter built, but I'd just like to hear what others have to say. Like what you shoot a .40 at and at what ranges, powder charge, etc.
Thanks,
Snakebite

you can use a .40 in Colorado for deer,bear and antelope as long as its shooting a 170 grain conical. .36/.40 are good small game calibers. I actually just mounted my traditions .36 barrel onto my deercreek stock! All these months and i just now noticed that it will mount on! :haha:

PA doesn't have any min on fall turkey, as long as it's a single projectile....so my .36 will do when i build it, till then i use my .22 marlin in the fall :v ................bob

A .40cal is a darn good one to have. I've got two, and while I've not killed anything with either one to speak of either will do the job! I use 30gr of 3f for target work and this load will put ball after ball in one ragged hole at 50 yds. I would use more powder if I were going to kill a deer or hog, but you better believe that a .40cal RB (weighs 91-92 gr) through both lungs will stop either one in a short distance :winking: .

A .40cal with PRB is legal for deer in Florida, and rifles are legal for turkey. A turkey is one tough bird, however, and I don't think your chances of knocking one down with a .40 or even a .50 are better than 50/50 unless you break the wing joints or the backbone. Just my thoughts...

der Forster said:
A turkey is one tough bird, however, and I don't think your chances of knocking one down with a .40 or even a .50 are better than 50/50 unless you break the wing joints or the backbone. Just my thoughts...
Agree...at first I used to wish rifles were legal for Turkey hunting here but since I've gotten into it, using shot for a head/neck shot is perfect, and you're close enough to really enjoy the show (the strut...colors, sounds, etc)

Well I have a .40 and a .54, and figure that about covers it, unless I ever get the chance to build me a smooth rifle...By 1820 or so, in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, a .40 was pretty popular...A .40 will take a deer, problem is we just aren't as good at tracking as our ancesters were...

I'v taken a bunch of Eastern WT with my .50 T/C Hawken (one at 125 yd) in the state of[url] VA.in[/url] years past. ( also many deer, gray sq., ground hogs, etc. etc.) "Be ware of a man with one gun." :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a .40" put together with an ETA of late fall. Spring 2008 will see me using it mostly for control of the ground squirrel population on our pastures. I think the 40-caliber is a very practical bore for this task. It is a far more appropriate caliber than the 54 that I'm using at the moment. (I never intend to, but shooting at a target when ground squirrels are running all over the place demands resolve that I don't have.)

With ground squirrels, you typically don't have to look around for more than a few seconds after a shot to find the next target. At least, that's the case in our pastures. The meticulous cleaning requirements of the smaller caliber rifles would slow things down. (Of course, skinning and dressing after a successful shot take me an excruciatingly long time, but I'm getting quicker.)

The extra mass should yield more accuracy over the smaller calibers which can be traded for longer range. With ground squirrels, that's useful. With tree squirrels, not so much.

Lastly, it's nice if the bullet gives a ground squirrel enough of a jolt to knock it away from the hole that it will almost definitely be standing in. Ground squirrels can somehow crawl out of reach down a hole even after a clean head shot. It's annoying. A round ball from a 40-caliber rifle will be more likely to knock them back enough to prevent this annoyance.

Of course, now that my dog will eat ground squirrel meat (cooked and only if she's hungry and there are no other options) and since I've been tanning the hides, I try harder to leave a clean carcass. Using the carcass in these ways leaves me feeling a lot better than letting it rot in the field.

Back