• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 caliber cast bullets....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee bullet and ball molds usually sell in the $20- $30 range.

They come complete with wooden handles and a sprue cut off plate.

The blocks are made from aluminum but if you treat them nice they will last for years.

Most of the other mold makers use steel for the blocks and just the blocks can cost over $70.
They don't come with handles so if you go that route, you'll need to spend another $30 for the handles to bolt the blocks to.

Zonie said:
Lee bullet and ball molds usually sell in the $20- $30 range.

They come complete with wooden handles and a sprue cut off plate.

The blocks are made from aluminum but if you treat them nice they will last for years.

Most of the other mold makers use steel for the blocks and just the blocks can cost over $70.
They don't come with handles so if you go that route, you'll need to spend another $30 for the handles to bolt the blocks to.

Good to know Zonie, but are you suggesting that they'll sell a custom size for that price, since I don't believe they currently list a .40 caliber bullet mold other than as a custom order?

Nope,it is a custom size so the custom mold cost applies.Talked with them a few years ago about it.They have the drawing/plans for it but charge a custom price since its not often called for.I decided to stick with PRB and it did well

If you go to accuratemoulds they have allot of moulds there that they make. They have one in 40 that is basically a REAL mould and also have one that's like a T/C mould. They aren't cheap but they are very good moulds and still cheaper than a custom or you can custom one yourself.

Thanks for the info everyone. I just received this in today's mail and since it's the reason for the .40 bullet questions, I figured I should post a photo.

IMG_1084_zpsct8t90mp.jpg

Can you post more pics of your kit? Did you get the fancy maple? I have about 2 more months until my .45 kit arrives.

I sent my own wood, so no, not the premium maple. I have no clue how mine compares to the premium, but I'd be happy if I paid for the premium and this is what I got. I haven't really even unpacked the whole kit, but here are a few more photos.

IMG_1090_zpsth0iipxn.jpg

IMG_1089_zps0q15xd0f.jpg

If the .40 isn't legal for deer and you already have a rifle or two for that purpose, why is there a need for a heavy bullet in it? I doubt you'll find anything as consistently accurate as a prb.

hanshi said:
If the .40 isn't legal for deer and you already have a rifle or two for that purpose, why is there a need for a heavy bullet in it? I doubt you'll find anything as consistently accurate as a prb.

There really is no need. This is the new/shiny syndrome. Compared to the guns that I've previously built, this one's going to be much prettier and I thought it would be fun to travel somewhere and possibly hunt deer with it, but it's certainly not a necessity and I'll surely enjoy shooting patched round balls out of it. For all I know, even if I tried dozens of combinations of bullets, patches, powder, etc, I wouldn't be happy with it and I'm reasonably sure that I'll find an accurate load for PRB.

There's nothing wrong with considering your options, right?

hanshi said:

The web gremlins caused a duplicate post, which I've deleted. Sorry.

Rat Trapper said:
The 200 grain 40 cal. REAL by LEE works good for me.

What rifle and barrel? Rate of twist? You would think that a 200 grain bullet going at 1600-1700FPS ought to get the job done with good placement and judgment.

Back