• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 cal shooters...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhoffman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I stumbled onto a load chart for the TC Cleland 40 rifle, it is using a .395 rb and a .020 patch.
I cannot get a .018 to start in my GM 40 without major whacking!
So, what are you all using? I am getting good results with a .015/395 combo but would like to hear your experiences.

brett sr..I have a colerain barrel on my 40 and use pretty much the same patch and ball combo.I have tried thicker patches(and like you,have dang near, have to beat them down the barrel)with no improvement in group size,So I am going to stay with the .015 patch and .395 ball.I think 40 cal is one of the most enjoyable calibers to shoot,have not had time to shoot at 100 yds. yet,to windy.Respectfully Montanadan

brett sr said:
I stumbled onto a load chart for the TC Cleland 40 rifle, it is using a .395 rb and a .020 patch.
I cannot get a .018 to start in my GM 40 without major whacking!
So, what are you all using? I am getting good results with a .015/395 combo but would like to hear your experiences.
Interesting...haven't shot my new GM .40cal flint barrel yet, but when I got it, I wanted to see how the fit was going to be.
Used a .395 with the same .45cal TC .018" prelubed pillow ticking patches I had and it started normally with a short starter.

(hope the one ball I happened to pick out of the box wasn't an odd undersize ball!)

I use a .010 linen spit patch and a .390 ball in the spring and fall with a .395 ball in hot weather in my Pedersoli. Good accuracy out to about 75 yards. This is an easy load. I gave up on tight patching once I tried this.
Two Trails

I shoot a .395 ball & a .015 patch in mine. It has a Colerain barrel. Have to use a short starter but it is not a problem starting it.

My barrel likes a .395 rb and a 10 thous's patch. It's plenty tight, but not so tight that I can't ues a wooden ramrod. I almost have to use a short starter with this combo.
Ohio Rusty

I've shot .395's with .021 patching for years in my GM. I have to shortstart them but never have to hammer them in. And got good results with them. Lately, I've been shooting .390's with .018 patching and getting very good hits with them. On the plus side, I don't have to shortstart which is handy when hunting.
:thumbsup:

My T/C Cleland Match rifle shoots fantastic groups at 100 yds. using .395 Hornady with .018 patches. I do whack the short starter with a small mallet because, I usally make a day of shooting when I make it out to the club.

I can get a .395" ball with .018" patch loaded with only a rod and short-starter, but it's not easy. Needs to be well lubed, and works best with a swabbing out every five shots or so.

But I much prefer loading with a .395"/.015" or even .010" combo. I can't tell any practical difference in accuracy, and it is much more pleasant to load.

Back