• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 cal pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been hankerin for a new pistol for a while now and I saw an old Dixie gunworks pistol in .40 cal on line. Do any of you guys have a pistol in .40? If so what loads do you shoot in it and how does it perform?

Thanks,

Don

I own a .40 caliber pistol which is superbly accurate.
That doesn't mean that another .40 caliber gun would also be accurate. There are just too many things that accuracy depends on.

I built my .40 after the fashion of a French dueling pistol using a 3/4 inch Vernon C. Davis pistol barrel and a old plastic model gun for a guide.
CASE1.jpg

The Vernon C. Davis company was bought by Stonewall Creek Outfitters www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com

Getting back to the Dixie gunworks pistol, it may be great but because I don't own one I can't say if it is a good pistol or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of powder charges do you load in your .40? What would you consider max load?

Don

pistol11.jpg

I shot this group with 20 grains of Swiss 3Fg powder under a patched .395 Hornady roundball.

A 24 grain powder load opened up the group but some patch shredding was evident perhaps because the barrel was brand new and not broken in.

I must confess that after 5 years, the barrel is still not broken in because when I go to the range I seem to forget to take this gun with me.

Thanks, and BTW that is a very sweet pistol you have there and sweet groups to boot.

Don

Latest posts

Back