• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4 pound buck fox squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
20210104_131326.jpg

Dang, that big old squirrel done took your rifle away from you!
Yep...there's another thread going on "What is a squirrel rifle?". I thought this was it! ;) :D

Congrats Hawk...that's a dandy! You have to get the skin off those big fox squirrels quick while still warm or it really likes to stay where God put it!

The fox in the name of fox squirrel is an abbreviation of what is often muttered whilst skinning a warm one. It, the mumbling, gets much worse the colder they are!
And, the older they are Nate; the last fox squirrel I shot was a heavy old bugger that shook the ground when he fell. I started skinning him right away and was arm sore and ready for a nap by the time I got his hide off.

I used to hunt both fox and gray squirrels and used everything from air rifles to shotguns. Couldn't help myself when on a deer hunt with a .58 loaded with a round ball and this big one started teasing me with a perfect "gimme" shot. I aimed for the neck and he fell. Surprisingly there was a small slit at entrance and another at exit; I'd never expected this with a big caliber rifle.

I used to hunt both fox and gray squirrels and used everything from air rifles to shotguns. Couldn't help myself when on a deer hunt with a .58 loaded with a round ball and this big one started teasing me with a perfect "gimme" shot. I aimed for the neck and he fell. Surprisingly there was a small slit at entrance and another at exit; I'd never expected this with a big caliber rifle.
Sounds like the ball cut his throat? But I bet he quit barking, lol.

Had that same experience shooting ground squirrels with a 54. Was expecting extreme destruction but just hole in hole out.

It could be that a critter needs to have enough mass to offer a level of resistance to the projectile. A cape buffalo, for instance, can be taken with a large caliber solid and die quickly. But that same large solid would take deer not nearly as quickly as a heavy target. But hit a bone and that can change.

Back