• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4-H Club Muzzleloading What is Involved?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodmaster62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey All, Just wondering - I've seen a couple of you write back to me on a previous post about you doing the 4-H Muzzleloading club thing. My brother in-law and myself were just wondering as we have 3 youngsters of our own plus maybe others in our 4-H Rabbit Club that might be interested. I've looked on the Ohio 4-H home site and seen about the training for the advisors. Do any of you know what is involved with the training. I don't know if we would do it this year or not, but some info from someone already doing it would be a good thing.

Keep your powder dry!

grumpy bear :thumbsup:

I have been involved with the 4-Shooting Sports program here in KY and have found it to be a great organization. It is centered around all of the shooting sports and no just muzzleloading. If you want to get your kids involved, you should be able to access your state program on the web. If you don't have a program localy, consider starting one. I is about as rewarding to you as it is to the kids.

In NH the training to be a shooting sports instructor involved a whole weekend training session in one of the disciplines.I chose muzzleloading others chose either pistol, rifle or shotgun. To qualify to instruct other disciplines you must repeat the weekend training in that discipline. I enjoyed it very much and hoped to get my oun 4-H shooting club going but couldn't interest any of the kids in my wifes 4-H club. I may try another time or offer my assistance to another club. I think its important to get youngsters involved in a heathy gun culture.

Don

Hi Grumpy Bear
I have been involved with 4H and shooting sports for 3-4 years now along with my wife and father. Involved is a 3 day training session for a particular discipline. That would be for a basic program such as pistol, rifle, archery, shotgun. To get to muzzle loading is a second course after one of these basics previously listed. Also, you have to have a background check and interview with your County Extension Agent. It also helps to have a good shooting sports coordinator in your county. The kids have a blast and there is also a summer camp just for youth shooting for a week. Hope this helps. sduve

http://www.ohio4hshootingsports.org/

Is a link to the Ohio 4-H Shooting Sports homepage. There you will find schedules for the training weekends and info on othe Ohio 4-H shooting events. The state has a great shooting education camp for teens every summer that is a good way for kids to get started if their county does not have a program.

It is true that you need to take rifle, pistol or shotgun before you can take muzzleloading, as the muzzleloading curriculum assumes that you already know the basics of gun safety.

The State of Ohio has also pioneered (pun intended) a curriculum in Living History for 4-H'ers. I believe that the National 4-H shooting sports committee has now approved this curriculum for use in all states.

My club is in SW Ohio and we meet on Wednesday evenings. PM me if you want to bring some kids down to visit our club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back