• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4 Gage Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Built in 2002, this blunderbuss was the first firearm I had built in 25 years and was my very first attempt at engraving. The brass barrel is a 4 gage Ed Rayle I modified to add the silver brazed and machined decorative muzzle rings. The stock wood was recovered from a locally felled walnut tree and the barrel was hand inlet. The butt plate, ram rod pipes, and trigger guard are commercial Brown Bess castings and the lock was a spare from an early Pedersoli Brown Bess. All the other parts were made from scratch for the gun. It is, pardon the pun, a blast to shoot ! I wrote an article about it for the Muzzle Blast magazine back in 2004 or so.
BlunderbussandHorn7.jpg
BlunderbussLeftSide.jpg
Blunderbusswrist2lowerres.jpg
Triggerguardlowestres.jpg
BlunderbussTopofButt.jpg
BlunderbussUnderside.jpg
ButtPlate3lowestres.jpg
ButtPlate4lowestres.jpg
BlunderbussSidePlatelowestres.jpg
BBBreechAssembledlowestres.jpg
BlunderbussBarrelLowRes.jpg
Blunderbusscompasrose.jpg
Blunderbussmuzzleengravelowres.jpg
BlunderbussMuzzleandBalllowres-2.jpg
ShootingBlunderbuss2.jpg
ShootingBlunderbuss1.jpg

Too late, Jerry!!
For first time engraving, that's phenomenal!! Matter of fact, that's fantastic!! Top quality!! Hope I can engrave like that someday. :surrender:

Jerry,

Please post some of the work you are doing on the Boutet. It gives me an inferiority complex just to think about it !!

Hope all is well.

Dave C

I for one appreciate the high quality photographs you've provided. I bet she flings a bunch of buckshot at one time! 44 by my count?

What is the significance of the word tridens?

Trent,

The engraving on the blunderbuss was all inspired by my experience in the Navy and the fact that these weapons were often used at sea. The motto of the U.S. Naval Academy, where I went to school before entering the fleet is, "Ex Scientia Tridens" which translates to "From Knowledge Sea Power". So the "tridens" on the barrel decoration banner means "sea power". My lettering is pretty shaky on both the barrel and the side plate, but the words are at least readable.

I never stopped to count how much buck shot I throw down the barrel. I usually measure by the hand full. However, I have shot brass chain and some other odds and ends that wouldn't hurt the barrel. And I have made some cardboard shot cups to protect the bore when I shot things like ball bearings, nails, etc. I once heard a blunderbuss described as the firearm equivalent of a garbage disposal. I don't shoot junk as a matter of routine, but it was fun to do once or twice. You ought to see what happens at the target end.

Dave C

I'm just finishing the engraving and the gold work on the locks. As soon as I get them case hardened I will get some photos of them and post them. That should be by the end of next week. I must take special care that the plates don't warp. I have to make some sort of block.

wow- fantastic work!

(as a practical matter, i'd hate to be on the wrong end of that monster, but at least i'd be blown to perdition knowing that it was by a really elegant gun!)

congratulations on a tremendous job!

Man that is absolutely sweeeeeeeeeeet! :thumbsup:

If that is your first attempt at engraving, you have found your calling my friend! :bow: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back